PcbNew doesn't find footprints I just assigned in CvPcb

I just assigned a bunch of footprints in my project, including Resistor_THT:R_Array_SIP9 and Resistor_THT:R_Array_SIP12, which are clearly there, since CvPcb just suggested them to me from the kicad lib. When loading the netlist though I get:

Error: Component "RN1" footprint "R_Array_SIP12" was not found in any libraries in the footprint library table. 
Error: Cannot add new symbol "RN2:/5CF4C0AE" due to missing footprint "Resistor_THT:R_Array_SIP9". 
Error: Component "RN2" footprint "R_Array_SIP9" was not found in any libraries in the footprint library table. 
Error: Cannot add new symbol "RN1:/5D2CCDCC" due to missing footprint "Resistor_THT:R_Array_SIP12". 

all the other footprints i’m using work fine though (except for CvPcb being a bit weird about filtering by pin count with some ICs but I reckon that’s because of hidden pins, got lots of logic symbols in there).

I double checked the library lists in both CvPcb and PcbNew, they are exactly the same (as they should).

KiCad version? (Help->About->Copy Version Info)

Assuming that you have v5.1, if you open the symbol’s properties from the context menu and try to set the footprint again there, what happens?

If you happen to need a quick workaround, Connector_PinHeader_2.54mm footprints seem to be practically identical to those SIP footprints…

version:

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.2, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.65.0 LibreSSL/2.8.3 zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.2 nghttp2/1.38.0
Platform: Linux 5.1.5_1 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.69.0
    Curl: 7.63.0
    Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013
Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

the footprint in the symbol properties is the same, and when browsing it in CvPcb i can see its preview, so the data is definitely there, but clicking “Browse Footprints” in the symbol properties also fails, this time with Error fp-lib-table files contain no library with nickname "Resistor_THT". which doesn’t appear to make sense to me if CvPcb suggests it and is able to preview its contents :face_with_raised_eyebrow: also after clicking OK in that error dialog I get the library browser which does contain an entry for both the library and the footprint inside it.

Is it possible that your library table is somehow damaged and different tools simply fail at different stages?
Could you share your lib tables (symbol and footprint, global and project local)

It might also be that kicad does not like the symbol names. The error message above indicates they include a “/” which could cause problems. (Or the error message is strange)

if you tell me how, i have no idea where to find their files :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah that’s been autogenerated though i think. e.g. the SIP12 one is just called “RN2” in the schematic.

See appendix of Library management in KiCad version 5

symbols global: https://pastebin.com/6rgBJ5Fa
footprint global: https://pastebin.com/naP9KVgR

symbols local:

(sym_lib_table
  (lib (name DS1233-15)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib/DS1233-15.lib)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name artemisa)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib/artemisa.lib)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name AT28C256-15PU)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib/AT28C256-15PU.lib)(options "")(descr ""))
)

footprints local:

(fp_lib_table
  (lib (name AT28C256-15PU)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib/AT28C256-15PU.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name DS1233-15)(type Legacy)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib/DS1233-15.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name nz8001)(type KiCad)(uri /home/kyra/electronics/z80_computer/nz8001)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name lib)(type KiCad)(uri ${KIPRJMOD}/lib)(options "")(descr ""))
)

… I think I see the issue: compare missing footprint "Resistor_THT:..." and (lib (name Resistors_THT)...), one’s singular one’s plural. but why then would CvPcb set it to “Resistor_THT”? it even shows it as “Resistors_THT” in the list I picked it from 0.o

EDIT: ok soooo in /usr/share/kicad/modules there’s BOTH .pretty folders, and both contain the R_Array... footprints. the plural named ones are dated 01/2017, the singular ones 10/2018, I think the issue resulted from updating to a version with changed names, my package manager not scrapping the old stuff and kicad never rebuilding the tables so it somehow tries to use both versions in different places maybe?

I’m gonna try uninstalling kicad, removing any folders it might leave behind, and reinstalling it, also then cleaning up my user libraries because those are all over the place :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yup that’s it, thx :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.