PCBNew: any ruler?

@skyflyrr don’t understand your problem, sorry. Can you explain it?

The OP (@tormyvancool ) said it would be easy to implement, but somehow he is not willing to implement it himself (maybe it isn’t as easy as he claimed?). But that is not the fault of KiCad. And yes, if he can’t implement it himself, then he should not say that it is easy.

Or maybe you would quickly learn to use other means for seeing locations and coordinates? At least most other users have, and haven’t asked for side rulers, even though they have used software with rulers.

You can count how much you would pay for some other EDA package for some time and ask if someone could implement this feature for that sum.

What really is a shame is that people could actually buy features but are more willing to be tied to a subscription model of a non-free software package.

That’s true, and add 30% to it. :slight_smile: But to be fair these UI “problems” aren’t so important; just use the visible coordinate system (which can already be configured) and maybe add these settings later if someone needs them.

4 Likes

Not sure what you mean? Please elaborate. Surely it wouldn’t be better if new features was implemented every time someone wants them, without thinking it through and without knowing what purpose they have? Pretty sure no other EDA package treats feature ideas that way either. Making a feature request is not as easy as just comming up wirh a vague idea, the details of it must be discussed for it to become a useful feature.

3 Likes

Features, no not at all. Kicad is a pretty great program being free. Just too many unknowns. We are just trying to make the move to a program that gives us stability for the foreseeable future.
Thanks,

… with the many posts above, some may be interested in this Measuring Tool but, most likely not… I post it anyway as it relates to Measuring/Dimensions…

The link: this App/Tool

For those wanting to get Dimensions from a Photograph or an Image of a Spec with missing Dimensions, this will do the job…

I transferred it from my Github acct to Source Forge so, hopefully all the internal links/hookups worked (using the one-click transfer tool Github)

Beyond the examples, a user could:
• If knowing the Width of Front-Door, measure the House width or height
• If knowing the Pitch between to Pins, user could measure anything else on the part…
• If knowing the width-dimension of a Chip on a PCB in a photo (such as LM341) user can get all the needed dimensions from the photo

I wrote this Java app 5yrs ago and the examples used PCB’s done in Fritzing. One example uses dimensions on a Spec Drawing…

I started to learn KiCad when 4.0.7 (last from 4.x.x versions) was current. Shortly later, when V5 was released I moved from Protel to KiCad. Now, after 3+ years of stability I have a choice:

• stay comfortable with my stabilization,
  • abandon stabilization and move to V6.

I have decided to move to V6 and that is the reason we have bought the PC with Win10. But we have to set it up from scratch before I will start using it, and we don’t have time for that right now.
When KiCad V6 will be replaced by V7 no one will be forcing you to abandon your stabilization. You have a right to stay with V6 for how long you want.

7 cups of Black Coffee and I’m now ready to introduce the “Common Man’s solution”…

No Plugin needed…

6 Likes

Good info, thanks. Appreciate the reply.

Hello @tormyvancool

I read the Gitlab request. It is mentioned:
It would be very nice to have Rulers on the top and side of the drawing space, especially on PCBNew, like in several other CADs.

“especially on PCBNew”"
I was wondering where else besides PCB Editor you wish to have rulers?

I placed a comment on your request wishing rulers are optional if introduced.

You made my day! :slight_smile: Now I’m feeling tempted to contribute this feature:

2 Likes

@twl
Metric or Imperial banana?

1 Like

Is that a real banana in the PCB Editor?
And is it scalable?
Having Scalable pixel graphics in the PCB Editor is a Huge double plus good for reverse engineering. You just make a few pictures of a PCB (Top, bottom footprints, silkscreen), put it in the background and trace over it (While allowing / compensating for picture distortion, etc.

I noticed yo can import photographs in the Schematic Editor, but I had not seen it in the PCB Editor.
It is also not mentioned in: Post-v6 new features and development news

A EU-Standard Banana according to (EC) No. 2257/94

(Some random text here, because i previously replied to the wrong person and it won’t let me post the same text again without changing the text)

I’m convinced that fixing the regressions in the router is more urgent for the moment :slight_smile:

Aside from the reverse engineering and EU-standardized bananas, what would be the practical use of scalable bitmap graphics in the PCB editor?

Thankyou @johannespfister
I read the EU regulation. That regulation seems to center around the bend of a standard banana and whether it is normal or abnormal.
It does, however, quote minimum length and thickness for normal bananas in mm, but the EU has standardised to metric and the EU doesn’t grow bananas so we still do not know if the banana posted by @twl is Metric or Imperial.
I do believe though, that the bend of the posted banana would fall within the EU acceptably normal range. :slightly_smiling_face:

As the internal pcbnew unit is 1nm, the resolution of the ruler must be 1nm too.

So the use of a suitable grid is much more powerful than any ruler.

So I payed a bit attention to this. It is not often that I find myself looking for the ruler.

When starting a PCB I want to know the origin of the coordinate system, because I like to build stuff near the origin. This could be also provided by just emphasizing the origin somehow.

Sometimes when placing components, a quick look at the ruler gives me a good impression of the actual physical dimensions, especially when zoomed in a lot… I can judge that way whether I feel that some things should have more or less clearence. This step is often done for coarse placement, and can be later refined if needed with exact coordinates.

PS: I have just read the remaining posts and realized that this has become a shitshow or making fun of people who use rulers, so I will leave you guys to it…

1 Like

In V5 I edited the Page layout description file (*.kicad_wks) to contain only small cross at 0,0 position.
Then if my PCB was symmetric I placed it to have that cross in its center.
I didn’t tried yet V6 where (as I have read) you can move origin. May be the other solution will be better.

2 Likes

Most likely you don’t know about the Auxiliary Origin and the Grid Origin…

Two tools in the Tool strip. After placing them, Move cursor to desired 0,0 location and press the spacebar to set it as 0,0

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 7.36.10 AM

2 Likes

You can’t talk about my life experience nor express yourself about the meaning of the phrase not anything else. Keep in track with the topic. Thanks