PCB with notch, possible?

:smile: Hello Community of Kicad,
I would like to know if it is possible to create a circular plate with a hole in the center so that in the center metallic fence and make contact with the positive pole of a battery that I will implement to the PCB
It is important that in the TOP there is a draft, drawn or notch, as you want to call it …
And in the Bottom must be metalized in the edge (although in this part I have no doubt how to do it, I’m more interested in how to make the TOP notch) Can this be done with this program? Can something like the notch be done? The thickness of the PCB must be equal to or greater than the height of the + pole of the battery … Then I leave you with the sketches of this electronic idea. And thank you very much for your time.
First image: http://subefotos.com/ver/?7ff707c254bcc7ac6c584411a8a61139o.jpg
Second Image: http://subefotos.com/ver/?ec93e6c98042cf7093dc656753c82581o.jpg

You can NC machine circles, using cuts layers, so yes, you can make a round board and a round hole cut out from the centre.
That centre hole can be plated, or not - you tell your PCB FAB which to do.

However, the fundamental idea is unlikely to be reliable, as the dimension control of batteries is poor.
They expect compliant spring contacts, not flush-press PCB connects.
Field failures would be endemic…

2 Likes

I would like to create the .GERBER to send a company that does it, but I need to do it in some software (I do not know which can do the idea of the central circle with notches) because I would like to order 200 PCBS …
Thank you for your suggestion, I thank you enough. I am very grateful.

KiCAD will be able to make those gerbers, no problem.
Keep in mind that drill holes (up to 6.35mm) are more accurate than routing and that plated edges cause extra cost (pcb has to be routed 2 times instead of just once).

You won’t get those little recesses though:

They will 99.9% go through the whole thickness of the PCB. I haven’t seen a pcb with a CNC cutout only on one side (recessed profile) yet.

Also be aware that the pcb fab house needs to be able to hold all those tiny pcbs in a panel during the WHOLE production, this means you will need (or have to life with) bridges around the perimeter of that round pcb (look up ‘mousebites’ for how this looks like).

Depends on how much you are willing to pay. But i agree in a standard processes something like that can not be achieved.
I know of a company that is able to put heatpipes, powerfets and similar stuff inside the pcb.
(I have not asked how much something like that would cost.)
They can also produce recesses where your bulky ic goes.

I think they call it 2.5d (because it’s not quite 3d)

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone. I’ll see a way to change that design a bit to lower costs :slight_smile:
Sincerely
Dart

Certainly in one PCB panel, that would be very special.
However, if the OP wants to use multi-layer PCB design that could give those unique notches.
Seems price and practical operation are secondary here anyway ?

Thanks, and…Will it be possible to make that vacuum in the middle of the PCB so that it can make contact with a positive pole?
If it were possible, I will then send you the details of the tracks and footprints (that will be something standard and easy) because later I will need a production of about 250 monthly
Price approx.?
Many thanks, from Chile

With multi-layer PCB that would be possible, check with your PCB FAB for prices.
I still think this would be unreliable, due to no spring action.

You could also look at things like Jumpers for the (+) cap ?

We have used these Harwin jumpers for ‘mechanical purposes’ rather than pure jumpers.

2 Likes

@PCB_Wiz, neat idea. Really like it.