Overlapping wires?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to place 2x8 14 segment displays (14SD) right next to each other and connect the corresponding pins to each other using wires. It so happens that pin 8 and 9 (as well as 7-1 and 10-16 for that matter) share the same axis so that when I connect pin 8 of 14SD_1 with pin 8 of 14SD_2 the wire creates a junction with pin 9 of 14SD_1. I happily delete that but when I then try and connect pins 9 of 14SD_1 and 14SD_2 and delete the junction that is created at pin 8 of 14SD_2 I lose the connection between that pin and pin 8 of 14SD_1. See the schematic for an aid as to what I am getting at. Would very much appreciate some advice on how to handle this.

Many thanks!

The schematic is only an abstraction of the layout. Whilst you probably want to pack your LEDs together in the PCB layout, you can space them out and rearrange in a clear, separate and logical order on the schematic. If you try and connect it up as you have laid them out it will be totally unreadable and impossible to follow any connections with any certainty and you are very likely to make a mistake.

I would suggest that you might find that this sort of layout might be handled in a couple of different ways - it might well be a good design to use a hierarchical schematic for. Alternatively, I would think that this sort of layout would be better described using a series of busses.This FAQ might give you some pointers Hierarchical or flat schematic design, what is best for me? (How to deal with multi page schematics?)

2 Likes

Where from do you have the symbol for that 14SD?
I think it is untypical, and practically not usable. The pads should be placed out of rectangle, and need not to be organised in pin number order. For example I would consider having all segment pins at one side of symbol, and common anode at top or at opposite side. And the graphic telling it is 14SD could be located inside the rectangle. Other concepts can also be usable.

1 Like

Hi John,

Many thanks. It seems that I did not understand the meaning of schema here. I think I know what to do now.

Best,

Stefan

Hi Piotr,

Yup - I came up with that symbol. Never mind. I think I understand the key point of schema now. Will try something else.

Cheers,

Stefan

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.