Other EDA Software... read for a laugh

I, too, have used OrCAD for years, but found it to be very buggy at times. On some occasions, fixing some bugs gave rise to others… Granted, corporate computers are loaded with invisible software which constantly monitors the activity of the employees, and that may create a lot of problems, but OrCAD does seem to be Cadence’s black sheep.

Yes, you are right. I just wanted to make sure people were aware of the third-party support for KiCAD.

This would be illegal. At least in Europe. So i would guess this is either not true or you really need to speak with your union what do to against it.

Or he’s not in Europe. I’m pretty sure it’s legal in the United States. (Though I would not want to work for a company that did so.)

No, it’s not illegal in the US. You sign a relevant form allowing the company to do that if you want the job. And, in the US most technical people (especially engineers) are not unionized.

Whether it’s legal or not, and whether you have agreed to it or not, you may not have a choice if you want to work at all. I worked for one company that emphatically denied such monitoring . . . until it was discovered that they were doing it.

For a variety of historical reasons, many rooted in perceptions of class distinction, engineers and technology workers have never been unionized in the U.S. At this time, labor organizations in the U.S. may be the weakest they have ever been. Just this week our Supreme Court ruled in favor of corporations on a question regarding workers’ rights to collectively oppose corporations in Court over illegal and abusive workplace practices.

Dale

I am not sue about the European position if the computer belongs to the company and they officially inform you that they monitor activity

Although this conversation is going off-topic, I must add:

Big Brother is Watching You!

I agree with the comment about bloating KiCAD. Careful thought should be given to integrating with something that is built to do ERP. Something like the open source Apache Ofbiz application. Providing an integration with Ofbiz would allow us to extend KiCAD into ERP if we need it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.