OpenGL canvas view doesn't allow fill

I love using the OpenGL canvas when doing the routing, but I notice that I can’t do a fill zone. I have to switch this to the default canvas. Is this a known issue?

What procedures have you tried?

Pressing the “B” key (without , , etc) is the shortcut for “Fill all Zones”. As a last resort, I guess you could run the DRC - it will fill all zones before starting its task.

If you right-click on any line segment in the zone outline, then select “Zones” from the pop-up menu, you should have options to “Fill”, “Un-FIll”, or perform other zone-related editing on the zone.

Dale

Would also help to know OS + KiCAD version you’re running.

Is the zone area show mode the correct one, to see them actually filled?

I’m running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit on one PC and Windows 10 Home 64-bit on another. Both seem to behave the same. KiCad version is 4.0.7.

For the Default canvas, I select the Add Filled Zones icon and right-click to get the popup menu which allows me to select either “Fill or Refill All Zones” or “Remove Filled Areas in All Zones”. This works as expected.

When I switch to the OpenGL canvas, and I do the same, I don’t get a popup menu when I right-click. However, the hot keys “B” and “CTRL-B” do work. I never tried using the hot-keys, so I guess that’s a good work around, but it would be nice if both canvases worked the same.

Thanks for the hot-key tip, I’ll use that now.

Yes, not all the legacy features have been ported to opengl at the same time.
In version v5 rc2-dev, right-click also opens the pop-up menu with Zones->fill all and unfill all

Well this will not happen. As new features are only added to the modern canvases, legacy will fall behind.

For the other way round the goal is not to have everything the same. But have every feature represented in some way that is compatible with the new workflow. (Basically means you might need to relearn how to use kicad. The modern canvases are not just a different rendering engine. They are more like a completely new tool.)

More details about canvases see this faq post

A helpful shortcut in all kicad tools is ‘?’ as it displays all available shortcuts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.