One project two computers

There are a couple of approaches.

1. Make projects standalone, copy all used symbols, footprints and 3D models into project local libraries when you start a project and along the way.

2. Use cloud for the libraries, too.

3. Use some central repository for the libraries and update the local copies manually or automatically. Git is one famous option.

1 Like

Each element I use I copy into my libraries (including 3D model). At D:\ I have a directory (Mm) that I backup each day. Under that directory I have KiCad directory and there I have everything connected with KiCad - projects and libraries. From backup I can copy all KiCad files to the other PC. The only what is lost that way are the configuration files from (Windows) C:\User…AppData\Roaming\kicad. But if you don’t change your environment setting too often the old copy of it is enough good.

In the board section on the first machine, export the model components and save them to the git cloud? Do you want to connect this project library on the second machine? It turns out that simple archiving and transferring to the second archive machine is not enough?

Do you copy them to the archive with the project from or do you need to export the file?

I don’t understand the question. What does it mean export in this context?
Projects are separate directories (under KiCad) and libraries are separate directories (also under KiCad). When I backup my Mm directory all KiCad files are archived.
Really I do the full copy of everything once and than each day I make an archive containing only files that were changed since last whole backup. So day after day my backups became bigger and bigger. When they are about 10M I once more backup all (what is about 200M) and next day my backup weights only several kB. All these my copies exclude files that are automatically genrated by software (like obj, exe, …). As I have done my backup *.bat files long before I started to use KiCad and not modified them so from KiCad I probably backup all files.

From an open board file project, you can export the 3rd model seats and TDs. If I just choose to archive the project, not all model files and seats fall into the archive… More precisely, kicad in this version does not upload them from the board to individual files… And when opening this archive on the second machine, sometimes errors occur…

Ok. I understood. I have never used that function.
I don’t use KiCad libraries so I have only limited set of symbols and footprints (+3D) in my libraries.
I don’t save library state current to this or that project was finished.
I generally assume I don’t modify symbols I have used. Footprints sometimes I modify. If I decide that I need to modify it than I assume that if I will be doing next version of some PCB than also that footprint will be updated.

I understood thanks for the information… First, I’ll try to make a common library so that the footprint changes are only in it and try to synchronize on two different machines

@m852 Here is a thread that may be helpful as I was trying to work out a similar strategy:

On the first machine in the PCB editor, he exported 3D models and seats and saved the project. Opening the project on the second car appears the inscription landing place not found… What am I doing wrong?

The version of kicad is the same all default paths on the first machine, all OK on the second one give an error in the landing place

What version of Kicad are you running? From the menu Help->About Kicad->Copy Version Info.

The only thing not saved in the project folder is the schematic symbol, footprint or 3D cad libraries depending on which version of Kicad you are running. The schematic should have the symbols embedded in the schematic file for >5.0 (I think). The Footprints are that way starting with 7.0.

It is usually best practice to create your own libraries for symbols, footprints and 3D models per above posts. Verify the following:

1. You have symbols, footprints and 3D models each in there own known location folder
  2. These folders are in a common location and sync’ed up on both machines (I am going to assume you are using the same OS on both)
  3. Verify the that the Symbol and Footprint paths are pointing to the same library folders under Preferences->Manage Symbol Libraries… and Preferences->Manage Footprint Libraries…

version 7.0.1 in the file section of the board, I export the library of all seats, but on the second machine he gives an error saying that he was not found although physically there is one in the list…

When exporting from the board, the footprint.pretty folder is created in it to drop all the footprints of the problem project in that it is completely updated and works on one machine and an error appears on the second part or on one component that it cannot find… This behavior is observed on several projects saved on one machine and opened on another

Ah, I see. Is it possible for you to create a small example project that you could share here? It is always possible you have found a bug, otherwise we may be able to tell you better what the issue is.

Try running Seat Editor writes that not found DropMeFiles – free one-click file sharing service

I was unable to download from your link. You can upload the ZIP file here directly without using an outside service.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16V1z-dj3sOYLq1_OChAswUhv5Y0MW7OF/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, here more than 4mb does not load

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.