Numpy, other pip package installs for pcbnew scripting

‘if’ or ‘when’? :crazy_face: it seems to me you don’t know ms enough.

1 Like

It’s in MS’s best interests to support free compiler tools. Even more, it’s in their interest to support free edition of their best product ever made, Visual Studio. It was their mistake to not make it free from the start but for the longest time they had a crazy bald guy jumping on stage in a drug fueled frenzy for a CEO so whatcanyado… They are moving in the right direction now.

I may disagree :crazy_face:

1 Like

@nickoe I just installed latest msvc build and scripting doesn’t work in it (unable to create Python Console), and running import pcbnew in python if launched separately fails with unable to load _pcbnew library.
Is it expected that python.exe is now moved to ./lib/python3 instead of ./bin ? Also there is no pip.exe.
Is it expected that installer copies debug symbols for every library? I downloaded non dbg build but maybe they are all dbg now?

@qu1ck I don’t really remember what we decided to do there. Having the python.exe being missing is also unexpected for me, but we should track this discussion in an issue on https://gitlab.com/kicad/packaging/kicad-win-builder instead.

I just wanted to highlight that progress is being made, not that is is completely done yet :slight_smile: Thank for testing anyways!

Thanks, I filed https://gitlab.com/kicad/packaging/kicad-win-builder/-/issues/119

It’s not missing. It’s in /lib/python3 instead

We aren’t dropping MSYS2 support, you will be able to build it yourself using it.

However MSYS2 is a complex beast that’s not usable with any IDE. I and others do not have the free time to fight the beast. MSVC has Visual Studio as its main IDE, and even alternate IDEs (CLion, Eclipse) support its toolchain. Microsoft is also very supportive of building all our dependencies via vcpkg with no effort needed by us mostly.

On the other hand, I can’t even file an issue with MSYS2 without the maintainers attacking me for not submitting a merge request. Because they are quite overloaded, but so are we.

1 Like

@nickoe grrrr nick, why did you include them! (in the lite packages only oddly)
They are useless to 99% of users who will need to waste bandwidth on them

great info! :smiley: thx a lot! :pray: :+1: :sweat_smile:

Caveat is, if msys2 doesn’t have the right dependencies going forwards at some point, its not our problem. We won’t be forbidding the build with msys2 or breaking it intentionally.

:rage: I knew it… :rofl: it is a pitty but at least on my side it is better than nothing … gcc in msys2 is quite aligned to gcc on linux, so lets see … hoping some dev will stay on this side :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Why are you using Windows in that case. Linux is literally what you want.

The other note is the new MSVC oriented build chain is probably also going to be buildable by clang which Microsoft also supports/maintains/has improved for Windows.

simply I need both on my working env… and I need my custom code on k.

There are now some msvc based builds available for testing at https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/

@nickoe, can I expect these builds to solve the problem described in my original post?

No, pip isnt supported yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.