Non-silkscreen text question

Nowadays mass fabricators are offering colours other than green for the same price when previously they charged more. It may require more time, probably to batch enough orders for one large panel. Silkscreen also comes in other colours but non-white usually costs more.

OSHpark even uses purple as their signature colour. And I see they have a black board clear mask combo. Enjoy the variety. Model-T days are long gone.

1 Like

For usability, the default behavior should probably be that selecting the text tool should automatically switch you to the silk screen layer of the front or back based on which layer was selected prior UNLESS you have at least one text object on a non-silkscreen layer.

As leery as I am of software that tries to do the thinking for me, text on a non-silkscreen layer is fairly unusual and probably unexpected behavior for people new to PCB design. I know I ran into this myself when I first tried KiCad.

1 Like

I do something similar but I put it off the board so that the board house is sure which layer is which. I’ve found that if I have mixed up layers it has been because of pour documentation on my part. Though I do like the idea of putting it on the board, this could be useful for incoming inspection. If you have inner layers you might have to dig or x-ray the board to tell if the layer is in the right place. It does suck to have inner layers mixed up when RF performance is dependent on there position.

1 Like

In KiCad you can set up the stackup in board setup and then use Place → Add Stackup Table.

3 Likes

This looks like a new in 6.x feature that I haven’t explored yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.