Non-devs: what do you think of the app names?

Projects of even modest size tend to spawn cutesy nicknames, and phrases that are jokes to the insiders. In “The Soul of a New Machine”, Tracy Kidder explains the origin of the names “Coke” and “Gollum”, applied to the project’s prototype machines. Several incarnations ago, “Dale’s moonshine filter” referred to a particular piece of test equipment among my co-workers; while puzzling, irritating, and embarrassing more senior administrators. (It was a simple helical resonator constructed in a length of brass drain pipe. Application of a little Brasso and elbow grease made it gleam like something that really COULD produce 180 proof hooch.)

When a project reaches general release it is truly in everybody’s best long-term interest that most of these slang and colloquial constructions should be replaced by more precise, descriptive, and concise terminology.

Dale

p.s. - Anybody associated with the process of creating technological products, or administering those who do, really needs to read “Soul of a New Machine”.

3 Likes

Of course the most efficient time for thinking through the names and other terminology is just before release to the general public. Once they’re in the wild those “insignificant little details” can become a historical tail that wags the dog. Perhaps it would be helpful to introduce and start using some new names and terminology sooner rather than later, with the intention of a complete changeover around the time KiCAD 5.0 (or 5.5) is released.

Dale

1 Like

Is that a “Spotted Gat” in your avatar?

Dale

1 Like

This is partly down to Windows still using file extensions to select applications. On one of my PCs, .scm has been hijacked by DesignSpark

Quite a few freelancers, and even some folks in corporate environments, have more than one set of EDA tools installed simultaneously. Incorporating the “Ki” or “KiCAD” in the application’s name helps you remember which tools you’re working with.

Dale

1 Like

I agree. This kind of naming can be confusing for beginners, even frustrating.

I think in this age, it’s acceptable to have 5-6 character file extensions. Actually pcbnew already uses “.kicad_pcb”. Why not “.kicad_sch”, “.kicad_fplib”, “.kicad_symlib”, maybe short these to: “.kisch”, “.kipcb”, “.kifplib”, “.kisymlib”

3 Likes

I’m quoting from the developers mailing list since you read this thread and I’m not a member of the dev team:

[quote="José Ignacio]What about this for short names (and the names of standalone
executables/class files if they ever get refactored)

Eeschema -> KiSchem (kischem)
Pcbnew -> KiPCB (kipcb)
PL Editor -> KiPLEdit (kipledit)
Modedit -> KiFPEdit (kifpedit)
Libedit -> KiSymEdit (kisymedit)

The ki prefix sounds kinda forced/smurfy in some of these, but it’s
consistent and avoids collisions, then for the UI the long names Chris
suggested would work fine, they are being used already.[/quote]

Pronunciation certainly is a factor that should be considered. Using generic names:

• Schematic
  • Layout
  • Symbol Editor
  • Footprint Editor
  • Page Template Editor

would allow people to easily find the programs by their name, yet the name could be easily extended by using the KiCad prefix: KiCad Schematic, KiCad Layout and so on …

This way, pronunciation is not an issue and most (if not all) program names could even be translated to different languages if needed.

Regarding the KiCad brand a more nongeneric naming scheme could be used while maintaining somewhat pronounciable names:

• KiSchemEdit
  • KiBoardEdit
  • KiSymbolEdit
  • KiFootprintEdit
  • KiPageEdit

Just thinking out loud …

And while you’re at it, I’m strongly in favor of this suggestion:

2 Likes

Short names that aren’t going to be translated had better not be rude in some language

OT: We are the Knights who say “Ki!”. :smiley: I couldn’t stop myself…

5 Likes

Well, kischem comes very close to Kirsche (cheery in German) and kipfedit reminds me of Kipferls (sort of croissant)…

@c4757p
I remember back in… boah… 1993 or there abouts, 3D MAX was still 3D Studio and ran under DOS. :nerd:
They had these sub programs… one for drawing the 2D shapes, then another to make them 3D (loft, etc.) and then the 3D editor where you could arrange them and even another one to animate it all.
KiCAD somewhat reminds me of that time.
A linear approach to a user problem that is better served by a comprehensive experience.

But times and user interfaces have moved on - nowadays it’s all in one tool, one view. You draw the 2D shapes right there in 3D, the lofts, revolutions, etc. are all just modifiers in a stack of modifiers on the 2D data, you even animate it there - which is exactly the same approach modern open source tools like FreeCAD took.

KiCAD should go with the times. It’s KiCAD. The subtools are there, they have functions. But in the end they are modifiers on a stack of modifiers on data… the schematic, the layout… it’s KiCAD.
I know that an ECAD program should separate schematic and layout, no question, we need to be able to see both at the same time.
But depart from the old notion that KiCAD is ‘just’ a collection of linear standalone tools.
A modern point of view of an ECAD should see them as functions of it - of KiCAD.
And we have more and more use cases where this is becoming apparent… people want and need to go back and forth between the schematic and the layout to get stuff done.
The inter-meshing of those tools/functions needs to grow and intensify, they need to work/appear/‘feel’ the same - this also means they need to become and understood as functions of the ECAD tool and not as standalone applications in a collection.
And maybe get the gerber viewer integrated as well. Let it auto-update with the last settings and generate the views from the last known selection of files of that project if the user so desires.

And another thought on consistency - browsers vs pickers

If you were to incorporate the symbol browser in the symbol picker you’d have just one dialog to worry about, not two or three or four - the browser actually is the faster way to find a symbol and how often did I wish I could select it via those means.
What is the standalone browser there for any way?
If I want to browse I could use the picker and abort the action by not choosing something. I’d just hit [ESC] or click on [Cancel].
There is no need for a standalone browser at all really.

Same for the footprint picker and browser. It could be just one tool.

And the 3D model picker… you really found yet another way to design a picker - amazing :scream:.

Here is a tip for consistency, lazy bums and less problems (sorry for the smart-arse-ness):
#Write the picker once and then put it to use every time you need a picker or browser.

Same workflow for similar problems, no irritation, less questions, more satisfaction…
And to top it off, more time for the devs to work on more features instead of reinventing the wheel each and every time they come across the same problem (*) :slight_smile:

*) up there are 4 visually (and conceptually) different ways to pick a component/footprint/3dshape from a database (were the user is not really interested in how it’s organized under the hood - unless he has to go in there to do stuff that the developers didn’t consider). I bet those are also 4 different ways how one can code this. :confounded:
This means 4 times the maintenance and development effort, were just 1 time would have been enough. And 4 different ways of introducing bugs and regression faults. :fearful:
That’s 3 times of man power unnecessarily wasted. :cry:

13 Likes

Unsure if it was mentioned, but one advantage of non-typical names like pcbnew is that it is very easy to Google and get specific on topic results. I always thought it was a poor choice to name the most recent Xbox “Xbox one” for this reason, gets way too wide of an array of results.

This has been pointed out, but I don’t agree. Instead of googling “how to X in pcbnew”, one can just google “how to X in kicad”, since all the pieces do such different things.

1 Like

I’m an experienced Eagle user just getting started with KiCad, and I’ve got to say, the app names are rather off-putting. I personally would appreciate them having more generic descriptive names within KiCad as a package.

1 Like

Sorry, I couldn’t help it :slight_smile:

TAFKAP : The Application Formerly Known As Pcbnew

3 Likes

I agree with much of what has been discussed here. Give the individual programs within Kicad more generic names that are easily recognized by users, especially newbies.

Ultimately even they should be assimilated as Kicad becomes a more holistic or integrated package. IE people should only think of Kicad when you mention Kicad, with schematic editing, PCB design, footprint editing etc. Being integrated and well meshed functions within Kicad.

Speaking of naming things, How about using a capital L instead of capital I for the word Layout? No wonder the term PI Editor makes no sense.

Also, the words “package” and “package style” are used in virtually all English language component data sheets, but I have seen many references to “housings” and “modules” where “package” would normally be used. Any move towards standardizing on “package”?

3 Likes

I like easy names; but I don’t think that it matters significantly.

1 Like

Is Page Layout the best term? I have seen Sheet, Drawing also used

“Housing” is not used internally anywhere in KiCad; the library maintainers use it, for some reason that probably involved sacrificing a chicken to the God of Random Word Choices. There’s a reason I maintain my own separate library set…

“Module” is an old term that used to be used in KiCad and is being replaced with “footprint”. If there are still any places “module” is used in the user interface, I’d love to know about them, and will promptly change them to “footprint”.

2 Likes

Generic is a good idea. The current names are a little odd but you do soon get used to them. Fix any bugs and add feature first :wink:

What do you think of “Footprint Mapping” rather than “Footprint Selector”?