No footprint found what i did wrong?

Hello guys,

Im new in Kicad and there is something really frustrating. I plan to make my own Eurorack modules and i started with Proteus… everything is going well with this software, i can reproduce the schematics, do my pcb rooting and print my typon ! Then last week i found a Kicad file to make a famous JUNO Chorus effect. Im so lookin forward to realize this effect so i installed kicad on my laptop.

I thought it would be as easy as proteus but it s not the case.

May be the file i have from github was made with Kicad 4 or may be there is something im not doing correctly. Here is the Kicad Project i found https://github.com/gligli/juno-chorus-clone. In the package, there is few Kicad files, one for the schematic, one for the pcb, etc… but only the schematic file opens up showing something on the screen. :expressionless:

So my problem is i can load the schematic into kicad but my goal is to print a typon to make my own pcb… I follow a tutorial on youtube saying i have to assign footprints from the schematic interface. Unfortunatly, it says “no footprints as been found” but i uploaded the lastest complete library from Kicad website…

DO you think the problem is because im using kicad 5 ?

Would you be keen enough to try to open the Kicad file in your own laptop and see if the problem comes from me ? I really don’t understand what is wrong.

Thank you for your time and your help !

Take a look into the pcb file…

(kicad_pcb (version 3) (host pcbnew "(2013-07-07 BZR 4022)-stable")

I don’t know what to do with a file that old, except to try to open with v4 first.

Thank you ! i didn’t even see it… Hmmmm i need to find an older Kicad version. I have an old windows laptop besides my macbook with windows 7 on it. Do you think it s possible to put my hands on kicad 3 or 4 in 2021 ?

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/stable/

Hi Eelik, thank you ill have a look today hopefully Kicad 4 will be ok to open this file .

I tried to read your original message again and noticed that you may some problem which isn’t a problem at all. I opened the project with v5.1 on Linux and it works OK. For schematic you have to accept remapping. Then the schematic is OK. The layout can also be opened without problems.

If you don’t need to actually change footprints, everything seems to be good. The PCB can be updated from the schematic, it reconnects nets but they seem to be functionally identical, DRC shows 0 problems.

Is “typon” a typo? I don’t know what it could be, I can’t find search results.

Probably the tutorial isn’t relevant for this use case, and your perceived problem is about KiCad libraries in general. For that, see the FAQ articles about library management. If you want to learn KiCad for other than just this project it’s worth getting familiar with. If you need to make modifications to the board file it’s necessary to have a correct library setup, otherwise it’s difficult to add new components.

Hello,

its really strange. Im using Kicad 5.1.9 on OSX catalina from this last link on this page https://kicad.org/download/macos/

When i double clic on the .pcb, kicad opens on a blank page.

Try pressing F11. -----------

1 Like

Unfortunatly, i do not have F11 key on my keyboard. But im digging it. Ohterwise when i open the .pro, i remenber i had to remap symbol then i can have the schematics showing up.

By typon i mean the layer (bottom and top in this case) i need to print to make a tone transfer on my pcb.

Looks like someone had the same problem about OpenGL on mac

i definitly need to give it a go with my old window laptop as soon as possible. Osx might be the problem.

All right, i change to “Modern toolset : accelerated” when on the pcb page and it works !!!

Thank you so much for your time !

2 Likes

Yeah, if you had an F11 on your keyboard that would have done the same thing. Unfortunately for you @eelik didn’t explain what the keyboard shortcut does with his extra required characters.

It s all good, i just google what F11 meant on Kicad. Eelik has been really friendly and patient regarding to my stupid question.

Thank for all of you guys,

great community here !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.