New libs, paths, etc

Hello!

I noticed the following:
When I create a new library, it’s not in any of my library paths, but in the middle of nowhere,
something like ~/.local/share/kicad/7.0/symbols

Is it possible to save it directly in my personal data?
I’m using ~/Develop/Kicad/PWLibs/PWSymbols and all the sym files are under that directory.

What’s the logic behind ~/.local/share/kicad/7.0/symbols which is not even in my lib paths?

Thanks for any hint.

That IS in your personal data and the default path for KiCAD libraries in Linux.
That you’ve set up your own directory system is fine, everyone to his/her taste.
Just modify your PATH variable under “Preferences” to your own path.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I’m aware it’s my personal data, and beside this personal data is added to my path already.
otherwise I wouldn’t see my libraries at all.
Let’s rephrase what I was asking.
Here are my paths
Some are in usr/share, probably those set ther by the installer.
Some are mune (those with PW in the name.
As for those in ~/.local:
.local/shrae/kicad/7.0/3rdparty (second line)
.local/share/kicad/7.0/template (last line)
BUT:
.local/share/kicad/7.0/symbols (where my new lib was stored, see previous mail)
is not in my paths list.
So my question is: why does kicad save my new libs in a path that does not belong to my paths
setting? If there was for example:
.local/share/kicad/7.0
in my paths, then OK, Kicad would create a symbol folder in the path which would be
somewhat logical. Not here.

Screenshot from 2023-06-27 09-09-59

I’m just a user with some experience, not a developer, so don’ expect deep insights, OK?
First, /usr/share/kicad/… is where the default (installed) libraries are, leave those alone (they’ll be overwritten by the next update).
Second, the KiCAD PATH implementation is pretty dumb.
Try renaming your paths to:
KICAD_USER_SYMBOLS etc. instead. That works for me.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.
I found something interesting. When creating a new library (that I didn’t do for a while),
Kicad asks me where I want to save it. And at first it was in that odd location.
I changed to my user path and it worked.
Beside this, when creating another library, kicad remembers the path I have set,
and it went smoothly.
Other things: My path names (like KICAD_PW_SYMBOLS) work fine. Anyway when adding
a path, I can choose the name, so it’s not that dumb, it works fine.
Ok, thanks! Let’s do real work!
Just noticed another issue, but that will be in a new message.

Not all distros have ~/.local/… it’s just a common suggestion.

There is a comprehensive explanation in this FAQ

I keep my personal libraries and all projects on a different hard drive to the one I use for programs.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.