New feature: 3D Opacity Property (WIP)

If I understand correctly it would ignore the opacity setting of each model, using 100% for all models. Right?

It doesn’t build for me after the update

OK, @kammutierspule I re-cloned from scratch and now it does build and works properly :smiley:
Thx

yes, exactly… the idea is to be able to toggle transparency to all items in a similar way as it is possible to tweak now switching from ‘all properties’ to ‘diffuse’ switching in 3d viewer from transparent objects to fully opaque. The best would be to add a shortcut to this fucntion, been able to toggle without involving the 3d viewer menu

No, not exactly… It is not toggling or ignore but is “modulating” by multiplying the two values
It is (or it should, unless any bug still present) in fact preserving the transparency of each model and for each material of a shape in a file.

FinalOpacity = OriginalOpacityFromTheModel * OpacityOptionOnGUI

As an example, a 3Dmodel.file of a Valve. It has two shapes with two materials. The shape of a Valve has a “Support” that is opaque (1.0) and has shape of a “Glass” that its material is 0.5 opaque.

If the opacity option on GUI for that model is set to 0.5 (50%) the final result will be the “Support” = 1.0*0.5 = 0.5 and the “Valve” = 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25

Hope that is more clear ( or transparent) now! :sweat_smile:

I think you misunderstood this part of the discussion - we weren’t talking about the opaqueness/transparency setting which you have implemented, but the option to ignore it so that each model can have its own external opaqueness/transparency setting kept but all models would be shown in their original state, without the setting applied, as if each model in KiCad footprints had the external opaqueness setting 100%/fully opaque. That option wouldn’t naturally affect the model’s internal parts, they would obey the model’s own internal properties.

So, quoting your formula, the option’s effect would be

FinalOpacity = OriginalOpacityFromTheModel * 100%

but the OpacityOptionOnGUI wouldn’t be changed in the footprint’s settings.

Correct! Sorry I misunderstood it, I guess I read it only from last Maurice quote and not from your original post (where I miss the context)!

I will think on that option latter once that part is approved for merge.
Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Likes

it seems this has been merged… thx!

A fantastic interface in 3d viewer would be like the one used in other CADs: a dialog in the 3D viewer to enable and set visibility and opacity for the 3D models… (a search filter would also be very useful)

1 Like

Opacity setting works nice. In raytracing it look a bit noisy though.

3 Likes

Please create a new issue / wish request on gitlab with that information. I believe such interface will need some internal discussion and get other opinions from other KiCad UI developers…

2 Likes

oh first time I see something like that with raytracing :slight_smile: looks good!
The noise is because it uses few samples … maybe it could add an option to change that number of samples for transparency. Would you like to create a gitlab issue with that request? :slight_smile:

1 Like

done:

1 Like

Hi @JeffYoung
is there any news on this feature?
The opacity feature is now included in the main code, but we miss the UI for handle the 3D list.
here a gitlab discussion

1 Like

I lost track of the discussion and didn’t notice that it had been implemented.

I’ll put the GUI on my TODO list, but ping me again if you haven’t heard in a week or so…

2 Likes

So I went to implement what I thought @maui meant and discovered that I already had:

You can edit a 3D model’s opacity along with its scale, offset and rotation properties in the 3D Settings of the Footprint Properties dialog.

The item linked to is a separate wishlist item for editing them in the 3D viewer window, but that’s a bit of a different feature.

That was not what I meant :wink:

That was I really meant, and the real final target of the opacity property introduced… but probably I misunderstood your offer :smiley:

Hi Chaps,

I can’t find this feature - I downloaded the latest nightly windows build. I assume it’s not actually implemented in the current builds. However it seems very useful for checking things like mechanical clearances, fitting into enclosures etc. Even just turning off a part’s 3D render would be very useful. At the moment you have to delete the 3D model from the part to achieve this, unless I am missing something. Do we know when it will be available to the masses like me?

Mike

Opacity is available in each footprint’s Properties -> 3D Settings.

maui wishes to have a 3D view of a board which would have centralized 3D on/off for each footprint as a list, and that’s not implemented.

1 Like

Yes - I see it now, down bottom left where I was not looking for it, but only on the new build. But the second question is when is that going to make it to the release?

When 6.0 is ready, which is probably some time next year.

1 Like

Hi @kammutierspule
nice seen you coding for KiCAD again as in your improvement for 3D viewer…
would you mind to have a look at the 3D viewer enable dialog?