New custom library - why is it called ".pretty?"

I am trying to create a new footprint. I am using the Footprint Editor and trying to save it with its own name to some library/folder to be able to find it later.

I created a new library in a folder where I can actually save, and it’s calling it “.pretty” in the Libraries browser. Seriously?!? And I can’t find a way to make it register the name I gave it.

Thank you for your help.

It’s just a default. That suffix is from way way back. You can name it anything you like. I call mine .footprints.

The way renaming (or just naming) works is extremely counterintuitive. I could not name it anything I chose when I created it. Later, I can find it in Preferences, and then I can rename it, but I still can’t put it at the top of my list of libraries (even if I add a “_” at the beginning of the name).

Hmm, New Library does seem to enforce the .pretty. Normally I create the directory from outside KiCad from past habit. There is nothing special about the New Library action, it’s just a mkdir followed by a register to fp-lib-table.

Hi Rax,

An underscore will place your library at the bottom of the list. This FAQ has a blow by blow account of setting up personal libraries and naming them so they will appear wherever you wish in the Schematic and PCB editor lists.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.