New component: MAX9814, footprint, pin names etc

Ok. I added the reference and pushed it to git, @Shack .

m

Arghh the commit string mentions the MAX9814 instead of the footprint. Sigh.
That is what happens if one is doing two things at the same time…
Oh well.
The script checks out ok.
m

Does anyone have some input in my struggle with NC pins and the Epad pin 15?
It is getting ugly, but my current solution to get all connections to be made in eeschema is as in this screenshot (note pins 4, 11 and 15 bottom right):

As you can see, I have added a pin 15 for the EP, as I believe was suggested by @Shack (on github anyways, I think :wink: )

m

1 Like

Looks good to me.
If the EP pad was just for mechanical mounting I wouldn’t have it numbered at all, but as they want it on GND your solution is the logical choice.
The QFN footprint will have the center pad as #15 then instead of no number… no way around that IHMO.

2 Likes

Do answer your question about nc pins:
I think in this case NC means that this package pin is not bonded to the chip die itself. They probably recommend connecting it to gnd for EMC reasons.
In this case I would give it the electrical type of either power input or input, make it visible and call it nc as it is called this way in the datasheet.
Only give the electrical type nc to pins which should not be connected to anything. (@SchrodingersGat or @jkriege2 should we clarify this in the KLC?)

2 Likes

I tried calling the pins ‘NC’, @Rene_Poschl, but that makes the KLC scripts fail. So I used ‘NoC’ instead, which seems to work. The scripts accept this setup (as in the picture above).

Thanks @Joan_Sparky. I could not think of a better solution myself, but it is a bit confusing for users that have not studied the datasheet in detail.

m

You can’t take care of everything at that stage. If people use provided resources without proper experience/knowledge it can’t be your fault if they do it wrong :wink:

2 Likes

Note to @Shack:
The name of the footprint has changed and as a consequence the name for the 3D model has changed too.
Was: DFN-14_3x3mm_Pitch0.40mm
Now is: DFN-14_3x3mm_Pitch0.4mm (note the 0.4 instead of 0.40) and so is the reference to the 3D model.

On request by @SchrodingersGat.
m

If the travis script fails and you have a valid reason for it, just state this reason in the pull request description. It will be reviewed by a librarian anyway.

If the travis script fails and you have a valid reason for it, just state this reason in the pull request description. It will be reviewed by a librarian anyway.

That is a good point. I will do that.

m

I am waiting for the footprint to be accepted before I push the component with a valid reference to it’s footprint.
That should not be a problem, as I have already made all the changes to the footprint that were requested.

m

The footprint is merged.
If you can find the time, @Shack, your 3D model will be greatly appreciated.

I will integrate and create a PR for the component.
cheers
m

EDIT: all has been merged
when you add a new footprint you should make sure the 3d settings goes like this: :wink:
(at (xyz 0 0 0))
(scale (xyz 1 1 1))
(rotate (xyz 0 0 0))
so here is what I did :slight_smile:
added a PR for normalizing 3d model reference: https://github.com/KiCad/Housings_DFN_QFN.pretty/pull/39
added a PR at Kicad-Library: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/pull/1261
added a PR at Packages3D: https://github.com/KiCad/packages3D/pull/56

3 Likes

I will PR the component, hopefully later today.
Thanks @Shack.
m

The PR for the MAX9814 is made:

m

Hang in there @dchisholm. It is coming. There are currently 117 pull request for the libraries outstanding, many older than mine. It will be in the lib’s eventually, but the library maintainers are probably very busy at the moment.
m

Its > 250 if you include the footprint libs as well.

Currently there are only 2 to 3 maintainers. But this is not the only problem. If you look at the older pull requests you might find that for most of them a maintainer had a suggestion or question but the pull request creator never answered.

It’s not a problem. Just close due to long inactivity.

Ah. Ok. Well, I will certainly do my best to respond… pff but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I have been on the road all day. It was warm and, would you believe it, I lost over an hour extra in a traffic jam that was not expected. Roadworks on a Sunday in a long weekend! Oh well.
I just came in and I need a beer first, before I can be of any use to anyone :slight_smile:

m

Yep. We’re there, the MAX9814 is available in the nightly builds of audio.lib for everyone.
You can go ahead with designing your product, @dchisholm.
Good luck!
Thanks @Rene_Poschl for the support.
m

1 Like