Net tie on internal layer

NET Tie user’s case:

1 Like

Hi, Piotr

I do not want to compete with the Altium documentation but it seems to be pretty Altium specific. I think that the net tie is very useful but not essential. My argument is my opinion and is somewhat complicated:

1. Perhaps the main use is for connecting different grounds such as power ground, analog ground, and digital ground.

1a) This could be done with a 0 ohm jumper but the net tie is more versatile and avoids needing a physical component.

1b) Defining separate grounds is not essential but it is the BKM (best known method) of describing the interconnection of grounds when you want to separate noise generators from noise sensitive parts of a system. A pcb layout person could keep all of this in her/his head and do it manually with only one ground, but then the requirement is not documented and errors seem more likely.

2a) Net ties are also useful where you need to control connection points and net classes. Many times I have seen a “silver box” power supply which produces 100 - 200 Amps of output current. The output connectors are large (1 cm?) diameter brass or copper machine screw stud. But also connected to those studs are suitable large diameter ring terminals crimped to small gauge wires (such as AWG24?) which is the output sense wire. Whereas the main output current is >100 Amps, the sense wire might handle 1 mA or less. The output and sense wire are both connected together; should they be the same net? Will you use a 100 Amp net class rule for a sense wire which is carrying 1 mA? Placing a net tie between the output and the sense wire resolves that question by allowing the interconnection of an output power net to a sense net.

1. I will bet that other members of this forum will have different answers…
  1. Kelvin taps for the likes of sense resistors
  2. wanting to assign two netnames to a signal net, especially heirachical sheets
  3. need to change netclass rules: track width for main conduction path, clearance due to HV

Net-ties are a hack in every single eCAD I have ever use and the fact they are a footprint limits their placement to F.Cu or B.Cu. being able to place on any layer would be ideal.

Now Mentor do have a net Alias where you do something like foo|bar to provide the alternative name at a junction (main branch is foo)

Likewise Mentor does have this nice thing called “net ordering” which can help in identifying what part of a stub is where, handy if you fork a signal and you need equal lengths (IE clock distribution)

In KiCad 7, footprints won’t be restricted to the top / bottom layers in this way.

This kind of net topology feature has also been discussed (separate from net ties) - it’s also relevant for signal integrity rule checking, length matching, etc

Thanks.
I start to see why I have never had a real need for net-tie. After reading a series of EMC articles (I gave here at forum links few times) I took as my method of having one continuous GND and just separate disturbance source and victim in space. It is also important that I practically do not use analog components.

My classification:
1mA - small current,
50mA - typical current
200mA - big current
1A - huge current :slight_smile:

I got it. Till now I didn’t noticed how Class default track width is used. It seems to me that when I press ‘X’ I always start with width selected in box top-left of screen.

Thanks.
Didn’t tried it but didn’t you get that by just placing two net names at connected wires?
OK. I think I got it. With net-tie you will probably have separate net names at tracks and pads in separate places at PCB. Never had such need.

I understand track width but clearance ??? If you connect two nets with net-tie they will both have the same voltage.
I have to experiment to find how to use default track width for Class.
I specify as default 0.25mm. But I also specify 0.2mm , 0.4mm, 0.7mm,… The effect is KiCad places 0.25 at top of list and when I try to switch width using W/Shift-W I am each time surprised width are not changed monotonically. Is there any solution to it other than assigning 0.2mm as default?

Think 5.1.x for now as 5.99 offers a rich language for rules
Clearance rules are EXTREAMLY crude… A netname added to a class. So imagine a high voltage case where your DC+ or DC- needs 3mm clearance due to IPC2221 … Great the present kicad permits this nicely. But once you place anything referenced to DC-, say a voltage sense circuit (low-side high voltage divider feeding opamp/adc…), Every net that is DC- inherits this clearance so now try to track 0402 resistor (1206 as part of the main divider ) and/or a SOIC8 … you can’t. All you can do is place a net-tie to then provide a new netname and thus net class rules. you might still get a DRC violation if the two pads of the net-tie that are closer that the clearance rules but it’s a small price to pay

I have not tried with 5.99 and the rules but I am about to start designing a 4phase SR drive and I am tempted to use 5.99

In this situation I actually work closer to the way that you do, and I do not “practice what I preach.” But I certainly understand the use of net classes. My real example is like an elephant and the mosquito which is trying to bite through its skin.

I am sympathetic to the idea that it may often be better to not separate grounds when the disturbances are not so severe. I probably do it more than needed such as in my present home project.

I appreciate your interesting and amusing response!

I think you are pointing out the need for respecting voltage differentials in net classes. I think that a 2d voltage table may be needed for this? I use 5.99 and recommend it. I think it has some nice advantages but I have not noticed that it does a great job wrt voltage differentials for net classes.

I have heard this mentioned before (irc or discord or here) so this is good. I have been conceptualising embedded die so how I would do this with mentor or kicad is bugging me

Awesome. Being able to limit a stub for some SSR would be great .
Now I want v7 :slight_smile: (ipc-2581, some form of component DB …)

From those articles. As high frequency current likes to travel through GND zone along the signal track separation about 2cm (noones land) between digital and analog part at PCB should be enough in most cases. Of course not always possible, but continuous GND is generally better then two separate GND zones. It is opinion from those articles (Keith Armstrong if remember well) and I rather believe in it.

I’m also on team “don’t separate ground planes” but I use net ties for things like current sensing / voltage sensing

1 Like

To attack this like other eCAD tools then yes BUT such approach is extreamly crude and produced an ever growing table - the last design I did in mentor had 11 unique “ground” and quite a few had controlled impedances and a couple had diff pairs (most just SOE) … It was a large, very large table

Kicad-5.1 has no such capability so the following drive used net-ties to break association and quite an intricate set of keepouts.

Now 5.99 has the potential to provide a concise method to define such considerations (and more importantly the debugger, this is good, what rules something violates)… Although my gut feeling means to apply more than one class to a net might help control the number of rules exploding

Indeed: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/9088

These days, small pcbs can be very cheap. This means that one can reasonably make two versions of a small test pcb and compare test results. An example could be a DC-DC converter on a small board producing maybe 20 Amps? I am not volunteering to do that myself but might collaborate.

Hahah, if only I could grok the codebase to help.
I’ll stick to some simpler issues for now

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.