Need 6SN7 tube symbol & footprint

Nahhh,
I like power top & bottom, in - top left, out - top right, control - bottom left & right. I get dizzy trying to follow wires on schematics, otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thinking about it; I might have a schematic .pdf and the board in front of me. (no KiCad immediately available) and I am looking at the board (or board image) and wondering…What is supposed to be connected to pin 5 of U14? When I look at the schematic, I want to easily find pin 5; not have to search around all the pins because they are not in order.

If the symbol has the pins in order, it is easy to see that all of the pins are “accounted for.” This is also easy enough if you have 4 gate symbols in a quad logic gate. But with the two versions below, I think you need to check carefully to see that the first symbol has all of the pins, while it is obvious that the second one includes all of them.

1 Like

First would be fine IF the pins had numbers. At a glance, it is obviously a regulator, and a well laid out schematic in spite of a couple of four way junctions. Easy to follow, easy to understand. I wish all schematics were like this (plus numbered pins).

The second may be easier to find pin 5, but would the schematic wiring end up a spaghetti jungle?

The first is an image snip from the IC datasheet. Even if the pin numbers were included (I could have marked them in so as to more clearly make my point) I think it still suffers the disadvantage.

If that were badly true then I think that the pcb layout would be similar! Of course there is ample room here for individual preference. In one consulting job, I implemented the “pin order” symbol and the guy I was working for complained as a result. I might have produced an alternate symbol to satisfy him.

I love good pasta!

Seriously; maybe a few more wire crossings. But keep in mind that chip design is done with a good board layout as one of the main considerations. It would not make sense for the pinout to lead to a fettucine jungle in the pcb layout, so probably not too bad for the schematic.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.