Need 10mm mounting hole footprint

I am designing a PCB but I need a 10mm mounting hole. The biggest I can find in 8.4mm, is there something bigger that I am missing?
I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

I know nothing about what mounting holes are in libraries as I use only my own libraries.
Copy any mounting hole footprint to your library and modify it.
I believe somewhere in FAQ you can find how to do your libraries.
Each footprint is a separate file - you can copy it between libraries using your system file manager.

MountingHole_10.2mm_M10.kicad_mod (1.1 KB)

1 Like

Hello and welcome @thedan100

Kicad does not have a 10mm mounting hole. You will have to make a hole, modify an existing hole, or import a hole from a third party.

I have no idea how familiar you are with PCB designing or Kicad, so I will start as if you are new to everything.

A 10mm hole will be a snug fit to a 10mm item. Maybe you need some tolerance? A 10.5 mm hole will be an easy fit tolerance.

If you are importing a hole from a third party, you will need a personal library in which to place the hole before it can be used. If you create the hole it is Kicad best practice to save the hole in a personal library.

If you have a personal Footprint library, good. If not, use these links to create a library:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-7-beginners-guide-to-personal-symbol-and-footprint-libraries/38738
https://docs.kicad.org/7.0/en/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.html#tutorial_part_4_custom_symbols_and_footprints

When you have a personal Footprint library, it only takes a few seconds to create your 10mm hole by modifying an existing (8.4mm) hole.

Open your Footprint Editor, scroll through the LH libraries to find a suitable footprint to modify.
I chose “MountingHole_8.4mm_M8”.
Next: Right click mouse, choose “Save as”
In the newly opened box, in the name, change the 8.4 to 10.5 (or what you wish) and the M8 to M10.
Next: scroll through the list of libraries in the same box and highlight your new personal footprint library, then click Save.
Next, scroll through the LH library list 'till you find your personal library, open it and highlight your new 10.5 named hole which is still 8.4mm diameter.
Next: Right click the filled blue circle and select “properties” from the list.
In the properties box, change the TWO diameters that show 8.4mm to 10.5mm and click OK.
If you wish to change the “User Comments” or “F. Courtyard” circles, right click each in turn to show their properties panel, then modify the Radius to suit yourself.

All done! You now have a 10.5mm mechanical hole footprint you can use on any project you wish. :smiley:

Once you have personal libraries, it is often far quicker to make or modify symbols and footprints than it is to scour the internet looking for something that may, or may not, need altering to use with Kicad.

1 Like

Whether you use a Footprint or not use a Footprint, making the Hole is the same process: You draw a Circle in the Edge_Cut layer.
You can do it in a Footprint or on the PCB. Result is the same.

Depending your skill and need, a Footprint is a repeatable gizmo.
Truth is, so is using a Circle in the Edge-Cut layer (just copy and paste the one you draw).

If you want more than just a Hole (i.e., wanting a Graphic of Mounting Nut, PEM, Insert, you need a 3D-Step or WRL).

You can Copy Save (Export) a Footprint and edit it’s diameter/etc, Can draw Silk and other…, too.

Example shows both…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.