My pcb did not work and i don't know why

You have shorted power and ground, of course nothing will work. You have to eliminate this issue first. And check the arduino without your board to make sure it’s still ok. Don’t connect power to your board or the arduino until you find the short and eliminate it, verify using multimeter.

ugghhh, this is painful to watch…

We have been told that this has been bread-boarded and it works, but can’t even troubleshoot a circuit with a switch to ground…

Hmmm. Can you please expand on that?
You mean that at some place these two “touch”?
If that’s the case, then how come on my measurements, when i hook up the power supply, i managed to get almost 5V between GND and Vcc?

And the button sees GND on it’s legs…

Could you please expand a little more?
Thank you very much!

Can you take a close up of the top of the board so that we can see the chips, button, traces etc?

My friend you give me hope!
I wish this is the case.

The final sensor is one sensor we developed in the lab. However, we model it using common normal resistors.

I will try to see if the pins do not touch with the arduino’s female pins… I obviously thought about it at first, but optically it seems they are touching. Plus i reeinforced with my hands so i was sure it makes contact.

I hope this is the case.

When i redo the board, i have to make sure the board is smaller.
Fir that reason, i will have to make the edge cuts smaller.

Finally, what is the trace width that you suggest?

Yes, indeed it works on the breadboard.

I hooked the beeper to the button and it works correctly on the board…

Even though you have not connected the power pins on your board, they still go through to the arduino. use your multimeter and measure the +5V and +3V3 pins on the top of your board (with the other probe on GND). See if you are actually getting +5V and +3V3 volts on those pins. If you are not, then the board is not seating properly.

Or, without playing with power, how about checking for continuity from the push button to the bottom of the Arduino?

TBH, the photos appear to show a well seated pin-header on the Arduino.

Is this a carpet in the picture?
If so, don’t touch ESD-sensitive electronics while you are on it or just walked on it. You need a proper work place which protects your electronics against ESD. A good start is when this place does not contain material that causes ESD, such as carpets.
Best would be when you have an anti ESD mat that is connected to earth with a 1-10 MΩ resistor, but i don’t think it is needed in your case. Just keep your electronic away from ESD generating objects.

Of course!!! Thank you!
I will have to delay this for some days because i gave my arduino back to the uni.
Time to get another one!

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, i gave the arduino back to my university some days ago, so right now i was stuck with my pcb, but i will definitely try that!
Thank you!

Thank you about your advice, but no its not a carpet.

From my point of view minimum is 10 mils. But if you have enough place I would use something like 16…20. For VCC main lines I typically use 40 mils.

When you buy a multimeter - which you MUST do - buy one with a “beep” function sometimes called “continuity”. It speeds up many thing and is one of the most used functions on many meters

1 Like

These are the ones i was using.
Basically, you are saying to change the track widths, from 0.127 mm to 10mm?

Because, the difference is a very large one.

“Your ground pour is connected to the ground pins of the arduino by a thin sliver of a track (5mil). You might find the you get issues if you try to power the board from the top DC jack.”
You said this. Can you please take a look at my provious post with the picture?

The track widths are 0.127 mm. Where does 5mm come from please? Maybe i am missing something.

Mils are thousandths of an inch. Milliinches, if you will. So 10 mils are 0.254 mm and 5 mils are 0.127 mm.

2 Likes

No!
0.127mm = 5 mils.
I suggested 10mils.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.