Msvc/vcpkg changes

This is my personal experience in building:
I have two PCs. On the first PC, cmake generation somehow passed by by doing:

After a month, I did try the same procedure on 2nd PC, and without success (there were some commits made to cmake part of sources, if not mistaken (2022-July end). Cmake generation finished only after such hard workaround:

1. Transfer whole 25 Gigs of build folder, containing kicad sources (excluding kicad\build subdir) + vcpkg folder to 2nd pc (at the same hdd folder destination):
    5541B

2. Copy paste vcpkg folder from 1st pc’s %appdata% folder to 2nd;

3. Again, commenting out almost every env variable from OS, and cmake generation finished.

I did not ever ran clone vcpkg, bootstrap on the 2nd pc, and I naively believe that is the key to success (I also don’t understand what these steps do, sorry :blush: ).

Now I have the only annoying problem: I have to comment out msys from the path before every launch of VS, and de-comment after launch (this way I can use git from msys during VS session). Forgetting to comment msys env variable before VS start will cause cmake generation error (dod not saved a screenshot) and the only fix later is to “Delete cache and reconfigure”.

Random tidbit I don’t know where else to shove.

The latest update to 3.9.14 as the python distribution I fixed the missing python3.dll which some pip packages may want to use and had issues with. python3.dll is this weirdo redirect wrapper that only exists on windows that points to python39.dll. Only on Windows does python’s documentation tell libraries to link to it and at the same time 90% of libraries don’t use it because it only exists on Windows for some perverse reason I haven’t figured out, but that’s python in a nutshell.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.