Moved My Symbols Libraries - Can't Get Rid of Errors

I moved my symbol libraries to a different folder (Win10). Now when I try to edit/save an existing schematic I get the error : “Errors occurred creating symbol library C:\xxxxxx\xxxx\xxx-cache.lib”.

1. The schematic displays correctly.
  2. The symbol libraries are visible and I can load new symbols from them.
  3. I did skip the rescue dialog because I didn’t know what it was going to do - it did not come back.
  4. I tried running the rescue tool but it says there is nothing to rescue.

How can I fix this and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Update:
Actually the schematics were not displaying properly. I found 1 symbol that had been replaced with question marks. When I reloaded this symbol the error went away.

The rescue dialog comes up if a symbol has changed in the library compared to the cache lib. Or if it is missing from your current libs.

That dialog allows you to either copy the original from the cache lib to the so called rescue lib and point the schematic to that symbol or take the updated symbol from the lib.
If you select the latter but the symbol is missing in the lib then you get the question mark.

Cancelling the dialog is the same as not rescuing. (The same as selecting “from current lib”)

Your simplest way out now is to get your library back to the state from when you made your project. After that open your schematic (which recreates the cache lib). And when you then change the lib again accept the help of the rescue dialog.

Alternatively point your symbols to the equivalent new symbols with the symbol library reference editor.
A lot of this is similar to how you would remap a symbol from version 4 to version 5. So this might be a good read: Converting KiCad version 4 projects to version 5 (Remap a project)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.