Mouse recommendations

Just NO!:boom::crazy_face::boom:
Wireless mice work just fine, even over just USB2.

I even use a wireless keyboard as well, and it might not be as fast as gaming wired keyboards, but I’d I have to some serious testing to know for certain.

ON EDIT: Should have included the smilies to indicate dripping sarcasm.

1 Like

Wow. Such vehemence for what is obviously a personal preference.

1 Like

It’s the personal preference of the mankind.

1 Like

I VEHEMENTLY DISLIKE mouse without tails. First they constantly get lost on my desk, an second, the interval between changing batteries is shorter than the interval of the wires breaking, which makes them less reliable.
With keyboards it’s even worse. I do not want my neighbours listening in on what I typ eon my keyboard. and a piece of wire is a much simpler then trying to find out if a keyboard has enough encryption in it’s RF protocol that I’d even dare to trust it.

1 Like

I love my trackball, the Logitech M570. However, in KiCad using the middle button (pushing down on the scroll wheel) is a bit hard. Is there a way to assign the middle button function to the two extra buttons on that trackball (forward/back buttons)?

mouse functions are not user changeable right now

Yeah, it reminded me of a friend that I know that enjoyed the feeling of the ball spinning around in one of the early MicroSoft mice. And they were also constantly complaining about having to clean the surface and the inside of the mouse; all the while knowing that I had upgraded to one of the early optical mice and had neither issue.

Some people just really resist change to the extremes.

@paulvdh

Now we get to the heart of the issue!:heart_eyes: …you lose mice that don’t have anchors.

Serious gaming mice by Logitech, used to (may still) have the ability to connect the charge cable and use it without ever having to change the battery. Remembering to plug the mouse in at night, and using it all day, never required me to use the mouse with the charge cord connected.

If certain government agencies want to know what you are typing they very likely will be able to detect it on your commercial wired keyboard.

And if you take security seriously, NEVER have any cell phone inside the same room.

Your middle trackball button would also be hard to use in other programs.
Have you considered just putting an extra switch on your trackball and wiring it in parallel to the existing switch?

It can not be done with KiCad, but I’ve used all sorts of mapping programs for all sorts of devices.

Logitech may have gaming software for that mouse that will allow mouse button mapping to keyboard keys.

Check for a driver/preferences package for your trackball and OS. There is often a way to remap the buttons in the preferences program specific to the input device. I just checked Logitech’s product page for that trackball (not my style, I don’t care for the thumb controlled trackballs, probably because I learned with the finger controlled styles) and there is software for remapping buttons at the OS level for Winblows and MacOS. See here:

If you are on Lunux, I didn’t see any mention of software support from Logitech.

I now know alternate text…

Thanks for all the replies about M570. I am on Win10, so I’ll dig around the driver.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.