Missing lines in FSilk-Layer in Gerber-File

So when did Pcbnew start displaying the Bezier Curves?

I don’t know, but the screenshot above (editing a bezier curve) is taken with 5.1.5rc1. Previously I thought it was a pre-6.0 feature only.

@davudsrsb: I use Coreldraw IX to draw the footpints and export them as dxf-File.

1 Like

As a temporary workaround, until KiCAD would patch this behavior, you should export your DXF files after having exploded the curves to poly-lines (or just export your DXF in R12 format).
This would convert your DXF Bsplines to Poly-lines… then your footprint will be plotted correctly.

2 Likes

Bezier Curves have a long history and activity again started

Yes, with the latest nightly build plotting bezier curves works.

@wopo - if you want to use nightly builds for plotting, you should install the stable and unstable versions side by side, see Running several KiCad versions on the same Windows machine. It’s clumsy but works well after doing once. Installing a virtual machine/OS is another option. Rember to handle only a copy of the original project. Nightly builds may modify the project so that it’s not compatible with the stable version anymore.

this has been cherry picked also to v5.1 nigthly :smiley:

Having plotted Gerbers different from what Pcbnew draws on the screen is a very serious bug

I played arround with LibreCad to draw a footprint dxf-file. It worked well, because is has the option to store the file with the R12 modus. The Coreldraw IX version has other options except the R12. I will also try the nithly build version. Nevertheless thank you to all of you.
wopo.

I consider the 5.1.5rc1 builds to be almost release stable and usable for production. You could keep your Coreldraw symbols, just be careful sharing your PCB files until the official 5.1.5 release (this year I hope)

5.1 testing (nightly) builds are here: https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/5.1/

As davidsrsb said, they are stable (about as much as 5.1.x releases) and because the fix was added there, you have no reason to use unstable 5.99 nightly builds. Just update to the latest 5.1 testing build. The final 5.1.5 will be released within some weeks, you can then update to that soon. And remember that there’s still a chance to see some new bugs when plotting because the code is new.

I was surprised to see the fix in 5.1 at all, even more so before 5.1.5 release. But a development mailing list shows Wayne (the project leader) wasn’t completely happy about such changes creeping in between rc and final. Wopo, you were lucky to get this fixed so soon for the stable branch.

1 Like

Something had to be done, a warning at least, as plotting Gerbers that don’t accurately match Pcbnew rendering is a very serious bug.
The whole purpose of KiCad is to generate these Gerber files.
Also note who did the patch, J.P. Charras himself.

1 Like

I agree and something had to be done, but still I was surprised to get it in with 5.1.5 (instead of 5.1.6).

1 Like

It seems it could still be an issue with some dxf splines:
spline-dxf-from-inkscape.dxf (5.5 KB)
spline-dxf-from-librecad.dxf (21.0 KB)
spline-inkscape|210x297
bspline-dxf.kicad_pcb (3.3 KB)

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.5-rc1-10-gd701c3a48)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

could you report this as an issue?

Yes, but could someone test it i.e. on 5.1 nigthly linux and osx?
EDIT:Done

Under Linux 5.1.5 rc1 today I get

And the 3D viewer does not display these at all

Have you tried to plot the gerbers? Do they show correctly?
Please add yourself to this launchpad bug
EDIT:
this has been fixed for K daily… it will be cherry picked for 5.1.6

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.