Missing commands

In V5, right clicking brings up a context menu.

In V6, there is no context menu; right clicking is the same as clicking the center button - it shifts the entire screen into panning mode. Is this new or is it a bug? It is true in both eeschema and pcbnew.

In pcbnew, there used to be a button to highlight a given net throughout the board. It was a very useful tool. In V6, it appears to have been replaced by a button for toggling a given ratsnest display - but it’s only a local ratsnest as connected to the selected pin - not at all useful. What we need is a way to toggle a given ratsnest (example: Ground) by netname across the entire board.

Anyone else seeing the same problems?

TIA

bdh

In V6, there is no context menu; right clicking is the same as clicking the center button - it shifts the entire screen into panning mode.

context menu is implemented and works. You have to avoid moving th mouse during right mouse button (RMB) click. Clicking RMB and moving == panning. (this can be disabled in Preferences–>mouse and Tuchpad → right button drag → Pan/Zoom/None)

In pcbnew, there used to be a button to highlight a given net throughout the board. What we need is a way to toggle a given ratsnest (example: Ground) by netname across the entire board.

Ctrl+Left-click on a track to highlight, next CTRL+Left-click to remove the highlight.

Please take some time and go through all preferences windows and look at all the settings to discover new/changed features. v6 is not a copy of v5, so it’s natural that some things are different and/or unfamiliar.
For instance in Preferences->schematic->editing and Preferences->PCB->editing there are the modifier keys listed with there functions.

For me the context popup menu also works as normal via the [RMB].

Highlighting In KiCad V6 also works with the backtick key (Under escape, left from “1”)
The idea of putting it under a button, instead of a menu item is that you can also use it while another function is active, and without disturbing that function.

Highlighting is also persistent. to undo the highlighting, press the backtick key at an empty area.

Thanks to both of you. I suspected part was due to operator error (or ignorance). I have much to learn about V6.

Bruce

1 Like

Toggling a ratsnest is different than highlighting a net. For the latter, see PCBNew 6.0.1 missing track highlighter? - #2 by craftyjon. For the ratsnest, you can go to the Appearance panel → Nets and toggle ratsnest line on/off for each net.

Thanks, eelik. That’s a feature I have wanted for a long time. I have a lot to learn about V6.

Bruce

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.