Metric and Imperial units

Yes and who wants to kilogram on the table in order to get a point across? If you dollar on the table that sounds like a bribe. I am not sure about Euro’ing on the table.

1 Like

It is a good job the abbreviation for “Pounds” in “Pounds, Shillings & Pence” is a “L” and not a “P”.

As far as I know, mil is not mm, but 1/1000 of an inch, or 25.4um

Hmm, driving of the right or wrong side of the road does not affect electronic design. But maybe the Brits can start using a left-hand rule?

1 Like

True, the traditional imperial names are nicer than the metric ones. But maybe we can recuperate some disused tradition names for the metric system.
What about ‘bowshot’ for km? It can be nicely abbreviated to bs.

1 Like

There’s also the “units” command on most Linux, etc. systems. You can lay out your board in smoots, calculate velocity in furlongs per fortnight, and all kinds of other useful things.

Ah yes, I remember that in the original Unix distributions, starting in v7 I think. The Linux one is the GNU rewrite: Units - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

When I first encountered it I thought it was a clever program since it had to reduce derived units to a combination of basic units. Looks like the GNU rewrite added more smarts. However it isn’t installed by default on my distro, and to be honest, I haven’t missed it since daily life here is all metric.

wouldn’t be 50 a more logical value for an average, nice temperature? :smirk:

Hmm. Not sure. Doesn’t one like the temperature to be a little warmer than that?

It can mean both, depending on the context. And some other units: Mil - Wikipedia

This was the point of my comment. Yet another reason not to use mil.

The Fahrenheit scale is much more convenient: 0 degrees is very, very cold, 100 degrees is very, very hot and 70 is nice. Perfect.

Maybe you don’t know how convenient Celsius is. With 0°C at freezing temperature you know exactly when you have to expect streets to have ice.
100°C is also very convenient when you cook, since this is the most common temperature you cook something.

Over here a mil is 10 kilometers, or about 6,2 english miles…

This is of course ludicrous. People come in lots of varying sizes, and as you can see it’s much better to use a properly calibrated banana for scale.

1 Like

I do not design so well after a head-on collision.

IIRC, Fahrenheit used the freezing point of salted water for 0 degrees because that was the coldest stable temperature he could attain. He intended the temperature of the human body to be 100 degrees, though the accepted “normal” body temp ended up being 98.6F.

The proof that Celsius is flawed as a temperature system for human use is that HVAC thermostats have to be adjustable in 0.5C increments because the difference of 1.0C is too great for comfort.

I agree Celsius is very clear on when the streets ice. A clear benefit over Fahrenheit.
However, I disagree with the cooking argument. When cooking, it is clear when water cooks, and how to get there. It is irrelevant whether it is 100 degree or 3.14159 degree.

We can make a compromise between Celsius and Fahrenheit: A scale that has zero at freezing water, and 100 at human body temperature. Let us call it degrees KiCad. Hmm. No. Confusing with Kelvin. Degrees Charras maybe? Damn, confusing with Celsius. The point is to get the Americans on board so that they drop their stupid imperial units otherwise. I propose degrees Washington. W is OK. Washington must be about the only person left all Americans are favorable to.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.