Making default libraries writeable

I have noticed that all default components, being symbol or footprint are write-protected. I find this somewhat inconvenient due to a number of reasons.

Ever since I migrated from kicad 5 to 6 I found that some components have wrong or missing links to 3D models. Digging around in the 3d models folder I can most often find appropiate 3D models. But I am not allowed to alter the footprint. So sometimes I keep manually fixing the link for the same footprint.

Sometimes with symbols, I want to add extra texts. For instance the arduino digital pin mapping for an attiny or atmega chip. Always usefull. But I am not allowed to alter the symbols.

I also do no want to save copies of the default thingiess just because I want an extra line of text or correct a wrong link to a 3D model.

Working with a windows PC, can I just try to ‘fix the problem’ in windows’ program files folders or does some of the write proctection ‘features’ are in Kicad?

Were I to upgrade to Kicad 7, would it be wise to manually pick any other folder than the program files folders to install Kicad to prevent this issue in the first place?

Kind regards,

Bas

This would be your file system. Editing symbols is recommended and usually essential. Just put a personal library in your user space that you have write permissions to. Save any edited symbol to that. A properly configured/placed personal library will not get overwritten on updates.

There should be FAQ articles on libraries.

1 Like

You would find it more inconvenient when all your modifications are lost every time there is a kicad library update.

Placing the footprint in a personal library and linking the 3D image to that footprint is permanent.

Placing the symbol in a personal library allows you to permanently modify any symbol.

Saving in personal libraries, or data bases (different personal libraries), is the only way as Kicad libraries are continually improved and extended, just like the drawing programme.

Write protected features are in KIcad

Issue of write protected libraries will always be there.

@bask185

This comment should read:

There should be ARE FAQ articles on PERSONAL libraries. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I haven’t thought about that :smiling_face_with_tear:

I recall from around 16 years ago I had such an experience with the arduino IDE. I placed custom libraries in the arduino default library folder, updated the IDE → poof gone libraries, RIP :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:.

1 Like

Hi @bask185

Making personal libraries is not a drama. There is a guide in the FAQ (top of this page).
After reading the “how to”, it is only 5 min. work.

The hard and time consuming part of personal libraries is deciding how to organise them. It takes a bit of thought. It is probably worth starting a thread “How should I organise my Personal libraries?” to get opinions, because once you have a system it is a bit of a mongrel to change because of projects already started (you end up with wrong paths to symbols and footprints).

Once you have your libraries, it is a scroll and six left button mouse clicks to place a part in a personal library so it may be modified permanently (5 secs. all up?). :slightly_smiling_face:

You may have your reasons for wanting to do so, (and I understand them), however, there are also very solid counter arguments.

• If you modify the standard libraries, you will loose any changes the next time you install KiCad.
  • It’s nearly impossible to keep track of your changes among those 16000 symbols in the default libraries.

And for most people these changes overrule the other way of thinking. When you put modified symbols in your personal libraries, it is much easier to keep track of them, and you will not loose them with the next install or upgrade of KiCad.

I know how custom libraries work. I already have a lib for some custom parts. I put it my dropbox folder so my other PC also has them.

I do need an organized system and more libraries. Some time ago I added like 20 castelated hole connectors and it is in the same place as the above items…

The main reason why I don’t have more than just 1 custom library (besides me being lazy ofcourse :stuck_out_tongue: ) is simply because I work with templates and reuse schematic sheets. When I make such a template sheet, I take stuff from the default libraries, assign them footprints and vendor part numbers and save the template for reusage. So far this seems to work efficient for me.

It does not solve the few missing 3d file links however.

So far I only have 5 whole schematic symbols
afbeelding

Do have lots of footprints
afbeelding

It is clear to me that I am going to need more than one library to manage footprints and 3d files.

Kind regards,

Bas :coffee: :+1:

1 Like

Some time ago I have described my KiCad directory organisation. May be it will be helpful:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.