Making a Split Power Plane

Sorry. My bad. I thought I clicked the message reply button under dchisholm’s last msg but obviously I clicked the thread reply. It would have help you understand I was referring to Zhenyu_Wang’s problem.

I misinterpreted a feature as a bug. dchisholm last msg mentioned

so I tried so many ways to fill my 5V supply zone by adding dummy traces and vias assigned to the correct net name but it doesn’t work with traces or via, only with device pads; which I realized lately.

I understand this is a feature (not a bug) to automatically remove any unconnected zone; but I think unconnected zones could be useful for some special applications (floating shield, hide other inner layer’s traces, hidden electromagnetically readable barcode, increase PCB’s strength/rigidity, as part of some bizarre sensors, weird stuff CERN people must be doing every day). :wink:

Sorry, My bad again. Please excuse my english as it’s not my native language. I thought

was a word. I meant 2 rectangles that did not overlap.

The difference between features and bugs is sometimes hard to distinguish.

According to me, zones work pretty well amazingly splendid in KiCad.
Copper in zones is only put in places where it connects to the stuff it should connect to. (Don’t forget to hit B every now and then to re-calculate internal boundaries).

If you want a floating copper zone, then connect that zone to the net:< no net > which is on top of the netlist in the zone properties. In that case it even fills areas outside of the PCB, which is either a feature / bug / moot.

Edit: “<” got eaten by the forum, addes spaces, foating zones are also nice.

1 Like

To what net? I assume you intended to write “floating” copper zone?