Major issues with upgrade to version 5

I was happily running version 4 and designed a few boards which went off to manufacture. I’ve installed version 5 and I’m having no end of issues. They all seem to be around libraries, modules and paths.

I am running a Mac on the latest OS
I having downloaded the latest version of KiCAD
I have some libraries of my own from version 4
I have got as far as schematic working.

When I click on assign footprints it gives me a massive list of files it can’t find:

eeschema Error

Failed to retrieve file times for ‘/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/Capacitors_SMD.pretty’ (error 2:No such file or directory)

But the file is there. It also fails to find any of them

If I click OK and then try and assign a component all the folders of components on the left hand side appear to be empty.

I’ve been trying to sort this for days but might have just found the answer seconds after asking! I’ve just renamed the ‘fp-lib-table’ file as ‘fp-lib-tableX’ and it has re-built the file. I’m hoping that this might sort it as I would like to finish my new board!

This excellent FAQ post can also probably help you:

Look closely at the file name. The one in the error message uses plural whereas the ones that come with version 5 use singular (Capacitor vs Capacitors)

This post might explain best what is going on and how to solve it: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

This is the solution presented in my tutorial. It however explains what is going on in detail so you might still want to read it.

Thanks. I hadn’t noticed. Once I replaced that file I just selected any old part for each bit on my board and went through the the PCB designer which all worked as did 3D display so I’m hoping it’s going to all be ok. I’m going to try designing some of my parts later too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.