Looking for various footprints (ATMega)

Hi, I am not sure If this is the correct place to ask if not please tell me.I am new to Kicad and I am trying to create a simple PCB. I have completed my schematic and now I am trying to make the association with the footprints. I use aATmega328-p but I can not find the footprint for the pcb. Do I missing something? Is it worth to create my own foot print or it is waste off time? Is it possible to take a footprint from a other similar part?

Thanks!

What is the exact order number? This MCU exists in DIP, QFP and 32 or 28 QFN (MLF) package. See section 3 (page 11) of the datasheet

The package drawings are found in section 37 (starting from page 436)

Have a look at these FAQ articles for further help:

1 Like

Once you have got your part number correct, make sure that you use the correct symbol, the pin numbers change between packages.
The footprint will probably be in Package_DIP or Package_QFP

or it is in Package_DFN_QFN

I am trying to find the package that you say but I can not find them. Where can I find them?

Do you mean you can not find it in the datasheet or do you not find them in the library?

If you run kicad version 4 then the libraries are called Housings_DIP, Housings_QFP, …

If you run kicad 5 and you have the wrong library setup then you will probably still see them as Housings_DIP, … To fix this checkout this FAQ article: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

It is not guaranteed that the footprint you need is in the library. I can not check it as you never answered my question. If you need to make a footprint for your self you might be interested in this tutorial: Tutorial: How to make a footprint in KiCad 5.1.x (From scratch)?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.