Looking for the right pushbutton for this footprint

hello !
i’ve built a PCB usign kiCad but i realized that the footprint for my pushbuttons dont exactly match the ones i have. instead of re-making the PCB i would like to find the right pushbuttons for this footprint, but i dont know exactly how to look for it. the “pins” are diagonal and spaced of 7 mm. Anyone can give me direction to look in ?
it looks a bit like a TASTER 1022, but the space is wider, or like a Racon RF15, but not quite…

best,
Sylvain

Well you could tell us the full name of the footprint you used (assuming you took it from the official lib. If not link to the source of the footprint.)

Starting with the name of the footprint seems a good start. It may also have other attributes or comment that has usefull info.

Also, updating your sreenshots with measurements may help a bit. It’s impossible to decude the size of a switch from a screenshot without measurements.

Next logical step would be to have a look at the parametric searches through the databases of Digikey, Mouser, LCSC, Farnell, Arrow, and some other big distributers, or shops that are specifically targetting hobbyists such as Adafruit and Sparkfun.

hello, thanks for the answers ;
sorry for the lack of measurements, i had set up a dotted grid, but it didnt show up in the small image
the crucial point is the fact that the through holes are distant of 7.00 mm

the name of the footprint is from library w_switch, and is called PCB_PUSH2
obviously i downloaded it from http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm
i see in the description PCB pushbutton, TEC R18-801A series
helas, googling that name doesnt provide me further clues of a merchant for such a switch

okay, trying the other prosposition : paremetric search in mouser :
i cannot find a way to reduce the scope to the distance between the pins…

any tip to help me from here ?
best,
Sylvain

The smisioto web page has a link for downloading 3-D models corresponding to the footprints, as well as this image of all the parts in his “Switches” library:

This might help you search for an equivalent part based on appearance.

Dale

P.S. - The footprint posted back at Post #1 is notable for a lack of symmetry. Almost everybody produces switches with symmetrical (or nearly symmetrical) footprints. That may help to explain why the TEC R18-801 doesn’t seem to be available . . . .

1 Like

http://202.69.71.82/product3.php?id=1470

3 Likes

@maui, I think he owes you a serving of your favorite malt beverage . . . . :beer:

Dale

1 Like

Does the C&K KS11xxxx series come close (either before, or after, an assault with needle-nose pliers)?

Dale

2 Likes

wow! great :slight_smile: thank you ! may i ask how you found out about that specific web site ? from search engine, or because it’s a known place ?
( and ok for the beer, as i’m in belgium they’re top ! )
Sylvain

1 Like

@Sylvain_van_Iniitu I think you were unlucky to pick a form factor that is relatively common.

I think I found a C&K KS11 series which is compatible, https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/KS11R23CQD/CKN4082-ND/332672. There also appear to be some cheap Chinese clones, but harder to order.

Oops, I see @Dale already found it while I was watching TV :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just going to let you know that while you might get away with this approach this time… don’t count on it being as easy in the future.

The best practice is to locate a part that can be sourced, at the desired specifications, and to use KiCad to create a proper Footprint for said physical part.

1 Like

sure :slight_smile: this is a beginner’s mistake. it’s only my 3rd experience with PCB and KiCad - in the meantime i bought a good caliper in order to measure properly parts i had !

thanks anyway to anyone who helped me this time :sunny: it was interesting to see how you managed to find some pieces…

@maui posted the link to a datasheet for your specific switch (TEC R18-801A). He is the person who can tell you how he landed on that site.

I had already given up on finding the exact switch - I think Digi-Key lists about 3500 SPST, through-hole switches. When I saw the post from @maui, I skimmed through the datasheet just enough to see that it was a square, pushbutton switch. Then I could scan through the Digi-Key listings until I happened to see a switch that looked similar.

Dale

2 Likes

For your next PCB, you may want to read through the link below before ordering PCB’s:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/tutorial-test-fitting-footprints/6778

It’s an easy and quick way to a fairly accurate way of test-fitting connectors (and other stuff) by printing the PCB on a piece of paper, and the replies list several other methods.

2 Likes

Yes, start with a part you intend to use. Don’t worry about whether KiCAD has a footprint for it in the Library. Symbols and footprints are not difficult to create. Making a symbol or footprint to match a part is MUCH easier than making a part to match the footprint!

Yea, verily, I shall speak a parable:

Are you familiar with the “Cinderella” fable? (Disney has corrupted every culture on the planet, so I am certain you know the Cinderella story!)

After the dance, the Prince had only one shoe from Cinderella - just her footprint! From all the women in his kingdom, he had to find the one who fit the footprint. That’s like you, comparing the footprint to every switch in the Digi-Key catalog!

Dale

3 Likes

Lot of work to examine the various links in the answers but your image reminded me of the attached.XB0571P Pushbutton from Mouser 04-2008.pdf (26.1 KB)

I would not bet that you can easily find stock of it anywhere however.

Footprint or Footprince? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Epilog.
thank you all for the help and lessons learned in this beginner’s mistake !
i got today my package from Digikey and the thing is just as it should* now :slight_smile:
this is a MIDI quadruple delay, working on a Teensy 3.5

• i’m not writing ‘perfect’ because i obviously have to learn some more about a proper way to fix the OLED screen.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.