Lock and unlock groups in pcbnew

I’ve been trying to find a simple way to lock and unlock a selected group of footprints in pcbnew. I did it once, but for the life of me cant remember what I did. If I find a way, I will post. It would be nice to have that as an option when you right click. Thanks to anyone who can beat me to the answer.

Oops, forgot to update this. You can do it, although not easy to know if you did it correctley. You need to be in the OpenGL mode, select your group, push the keyboard key mapped to locking/un-locking footprints (default is L). Switch back into the default mode and the group you had selected should now the locked or unlocked based on the state prior to the selections…

I think the wording is a bit unfortunate.

When talking about a group of something, I immediately interpret this as “objects grouped together”, not necessarily just a selection of multiple objects, which seems to be the case here.

It would be nice to have real groupings… with attributes… and the ability to preform functions on that group… I’m sure grouping objects together will come one day, I should see if anyone has made a request, and what the status might be on such a request.

Agree. I requested a similar feature about a month ago, here and in the devs forum as well, along with (what I think would be) desired functionality.

As I understand the “right” way of asking for new function is filing a bug report with a new feature request.

Which is exactly what I did :slight_smile:

Could you please share the link to your bugreport so those interested could vote for it?

Sure :slight_smile: I hope it increases the chance it’s implemented.
Cheers
Matan

Apparently I have voted for it already :wink:

Dumb question, I looked for a “vote” button but couldn’t find it. Where is it?

Found myself wishing for a feature for locking/unlocking groups of components as well.
I upvoted the related bug-report.