Load schematic?

Hi,
new user of kicad here and struggling. I have a schematic that I downloaded, but I cannot for the life of me work out how to load it into kicad - there is no ‘Load file’, or ‘Open file’ in the pull down list?
The schematic was created with the raspberry pi version of kicad of 2014. I can also load it with my raspberry pi, but I want to use my vista laptop, which is where the problem is.
What I am doing wrong?
Cheers,
Texy

Thanks for the quick reply.
No - I don’t have open anything with the pull down for eescema.
I only have Append Schematic Sheet, then the next 2 options are greyed out, which are save options, then page settings, print, plot and close.
Maybe I have a duff installation…

I’m on KiCad 4.1 and this is not possible. There is no such way to open a sheet outside of the current project.

Your installation is OK. Closing KiCad and double clicking your file. Or finding an “EEschema” entry in your operating system Start menu.

OK thanks. I tried this method and it does TRY to load the schematic, but a load of errors pops up :
18:41:30: file ‘C:\Users\Ian\Documents\weather_station_RevB\weather_station_main_RevB.sch’, line 1: ‘=’ expected.
18:41:30: file ‘C:\Users\Ian\Documents\weather_station_RevB\weather_station_main_RevB.sch’, line 2: ‘=’ expected.

Maybe its because it was generated with kicad version of 22nd june 2014, and on my laptop I am running stable v 4.0.2
Maybe I’ll just use the pi version…

Texy

That shouldn’t be a problem.

There shouldn’t be any difference.

Could you upload your file somewhere and give us a link?

Or… Create a new project with the name of the schematic. Then copy the schematic files into that new project. Then, hopefully, you should be able to load the schematic.

1 Like

OK - I got it to work on my laptop. I think it maybe because there was a custom part in the circuit, which I hadn’t copied over to the project folder.
Thanks for your help guys.

Texy