Linux version - Part Library Editor - can't write to libraries

Hello All,
Just love this software and it runs well on Linux Mint.
I have one question though … I can’t add parts to existing Library … like Microchip
because folder it is in /usr/share/kicad/library/microchip.lib is owned by ‘root’ and only opens as ‘Read Only’.
How do I fix this without making new microchip PICs in a project library?
Thanks

It is a bad idea editing the default libraries as an update will wipe your work

1 Like

unfortunately kicad puts its libraries in /usr/share/kicad/library/ and in windows in %programfiles%\kicad
those locations are not the best for a user point of view…
moreover it is really useful to move your libraries in a different path, so they will be writable and will not be wiped when updating kicad…
you may consider to configure something like that

1 Like

What you want to do is:

1. Create some directory where you keep your personal libraries, copy in any libraries you want to modify (better yet is to create an empty library).
  2. Start KiCad and eeschema and go to Preferences -> Component Libraries
  3. Add your directory in the second box.
  4. Close the box and open it again (it reloads the paths)
  5. In the first box select the top most entry (power in my case) and click insert instead of add to add your lib file.
  6. Move your file up to the top

KiCad picks parts to use by simply taking the first part that matches the name of the component used in the schematic. So if you save any modified part in your previously added library KiCad will use this instead of the system ones.

1 Like

The LTSpice simulator, for example, is now putting libraries and sample projects in:

C:\Users%User_Name%\Documents\LTspiceXVII

This gets around the problems caused by permissions and access controls as long as there is only one user, but could get troublesome if several users share a machine. Even so, it may be worth the effort to move your personal libraries to a location such as:

C:\Users%User_Name%\Documents\KiCAD\User_Lib

Dale

1 Like

Thanks for the advise. I see what you mean. I think I will make a folder on my network drive to hold projects and user created libraries.

Hi,
I am not even able find any libraries.
When I look in /usr/share/kicad/ ,the library directory is missing.
The module directory is also missing.

What am I doing wrong on my install of Kicad???

I have installed Wine and Winetricks and when I install the “Windows” .exe the libraries are there.

HELP!!
Orrin

Distro? Versions of distro and Kicad? Maybe you didn’t install the packages containing the libraries? More info needed.

And you really should have started a new thread.

The library directory is not even being created. The Kicad directory is under “root” ownership, so I can’t mkdir a library directory. (Mint 19.3)

Orrin McGill

Embedded Systems, Inc.

(612) 865-6518 ©

You don’t have to create sub-directory under directory that is owned by root.
Create directory under your home directory for your libraries, eg.

2 Likes

Well is there a separate package for the libraries? If so install that.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Personal library not writable