Library paths get broken

I have had this issue many times- each time I got back symbols after several hrs of reentering the symbol path in the symbol edit dialog box.
What am I doing wrong?
here is how it comes about: I open an old project because I need to do some new project.
So almost everything is already there. All I need to do is to rewire things.
Most often, I need to add a new symbol.
After some trouble. I do that.
I place it in the old sch I opened. & connect it.
While saving it, I get a notice that “error in saving”…
then next you know I have “?” all over when I reopen the sch.
I found out the only way to fix it is to enter the symbol lib path in each.
Now I lost all footprint association!
The whole purpose of reusing an old project is now lost & gave me more work.
How to do it the correct way.
Pl see the attached. file.
thnx

What is your current kicad version? (help -> about -> copy version info)
What is the version you used to create the project?

(Below i assume you are on version 5 right now. I further assume your original project was also made in v5.)

What is the exact error text here?

Do your old projects include the cache library file (project_name-cache.lib)? (Before reuse? And what about after reuse?)

Does kicad ask to rescue symbols when opening the old project?

I would assume you rename the project for reuse. How exactly to you go about things? Do you ensure the cache lib is renamed the same way as the project?

Do you ensure the rescue lib (should it exist) is kept inside the project local library table and all references to it in the file are updated accordingly? (The later is way easier if you keep the old name of the rescue lib.)

thnx Rene
version: 5.0.0
pro created: previous install( was it 4.9?)
but it can happen in the same version if one tries to reuse a file with symbols created in this project.
exact error: I have to reproduce one & report. But it says something like symbol not found in reuse or cache …etc.
Yes, I always notice pro process creates cache & rescu.lib although I have not found any use nor are they complete.
Does it ask for rescue symbols?..I think I should reproduce this phenomenon & attach that whole pro as zip file so you can run it.

Since I can fix this error by opening symbol library preferences where I can see that the schematic tries to get symbols from a cache.lib or rescue.lib which do not clearly have the symbols! why should they?
It seems to me that I have not understood how to set up a project so that cache & rescue lib get handled properly.
I have not even seen where this will is explained in the u/g.

In any event, I will soon send the file that will show errors, libraries created etc. Hopefully, all of us can learn how to avoid these later.
thnx much

Well if it was a version 4 project then you need to properly remap it to the new system. See: Converting KiCad version 4 projects to version 5 (Remap a project)

And if i have a guess then i would say your library setup might now be screwed up as well: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.