Library/component issue

Hello, I am new to KiCAD having just been told about it by members of a Facebook area that I use. I have been using Eagle for years so it’s probably my fault but I can’t quite seem to get some things working.

I have downloaded and installed the KiCAD 4.0.7 package for MacOS and the associated extras.

I have created a test schematic of an Atmel 328 28 pin DIL plus the necessary caps and crystal. Just to have a look.

I have followed everything, right up to Run CvPCB and get the error about some items being legacy entries then another error saying Component U1 footprint DIL28 was not found in any library… You will need to assign them manually which is fair enough.

I can then see the list of libraries, components and library contents and have assigned all the caps and crystal but I cannot select a DIL socket for the 328. If I click on the 328 and sockets there is nothing in the right hand pane. I have added all the libraries from extras just where it says to do so and copied the fp-lib-table file to the location as directed.

If I go into the library editor to see if the item is there as I would expect then I can’t find the sockets library in the list. The library editor’s list is much smaller than the full list within CvPCB.

Is there an import library button or something like that that I am missing as there is with Eagle? Have I got to set a path or something?

The paths I can find in the program are

KICAD_PTEMPLATES
KIGITHUB
KISYS3DMOD
KISYSMOD

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

The library is called Housings_DIP

In v5 it will be called Package_DIP.

About assigning footprints to symbols see this post in the FAQ:

1 Like

Thanks Rene. I’ve been using the package all day and really starting to get somewhere. There are a few bugs but I’m sure they could well get sorted soon enough.