Libraries Confusion

Hi,

This is more general than schematic libraries - it includes footprint libraries.

I have never found a simple, clear explanation of libraries. Their structure and management remain mysterious to me. I have KiCAD running on 4 old Macbook Pros (I refer to them as RAIC - redundant array of inexpensive computers :slight_smile: ).

When i move to my “travel” laptop, it continually comes up with errors, and 'fixes" them (presumably with newer models). Then i take that design back to the regular laptop and it too has errors and “fixes” them.

1. They both can’t be newer - one must be older
  2. I have no idea how either could be old since they are relatively fresh installs

Can someone help tell me how to keep them in synch? I’d be happy to just put them in Dropbox and let it sync them, if only i knew the “where, what and how”.

TIA, off the the airport n business, may be slow to respond.

BTW with this communities’ help, i’m becoming proficient enough to both get stuff done and hurt myself!

G

1 Like

Have you checked out Libraries section of the FAQ (Start Here) Frequently Asked Questions ?

your kicad version might be required to give more help than the general rtfm.

5.1.2-1 on travel machine. Cant check main machine since I’m well, raveling :slight_smile:

I ran it again to check the errors. I am getting errors of the type “library/application support/Kicad libraries/XYZ.lib not found”

But when i browse to that folder, the libraries are in fact there.

kiCAD proposes a “rescue” function, whcih seems to work, but then I get errors on the main system (also running KiCAD5.1.2 i believe)

Weird

Just an assumption: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

You might want to give at least the full error message including the file name that is reported as missing if you want us to do more than guessing what could be wrong

Hi Rene- (and anyone who might know what’s going on)

I believe i gave the error message, as accurately as i could capture it, above.

I see you linked another thread, but that has to do with upgrading from KiCAD 4 to 5. Both of these installations were new KiCAD 5 installs. I also noted that the libraries that it claimed were missing were in fact there, in the directory that the error referenced.

I copied my earlier message and am re-pasting it below just for simplicity of anyone reading along:

"I ran it again to check the errors. I am getting errors of the type “library/application support/Kicad libraries/XYZ.lib not found”

But when i browse to that folder, the libraries are in fact there.

kiCAD proposes a “rescue” function, whcih seems to work, but then I get errors on the main system (also running KiCAD5.1.2 i believe)

Weird"

Grant

Is it really XYZ.lib? If so: why is your personal library in the system directory.

Not sure if you were joking, but no, of course not. There were several libraries which i did not memorize (they pop up, i clear one and another pops up). All standard libs. The name ought not matter, its the behavior that’s the problem.

Ok now a bit clearer: Give us at least one such message in full including the name of the library (as already requested above!)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.