[SOLVED] KiField problem updating fields, v7

And also from the same Github page . . .

devbisme commented 2 weeks ago

I updated this program last year when KiCad 6 appeared with new file formats. Now they’ve updated file formats (or something) and broken things again. I guess it will remain broken until I run out of more interesting things to do.

2 Likes

Yes. I’m well aware of that, and that’s why I posted here. I’m trying to figure out if indeed something changed, or if I was making a mistake either installing or trying to run the plug-in.

1 Like

Is there at least a summary of the file format changes from 6 to 7 (wrt to the schematics / symbol library

all documentation is available it’s open source … unfortunately this is not the only plugin that doesn’t work and all questions should be sent to the plugin developer or written by yourself

I thought it was going to be a straightforward question, but I’m not communication clearly. I’m just trying to figure out if the format changed. If so, it might be the reason the plug-in “broke”. If that is the case, I get it, I’m outta luck, no worries.

I did ask the developer, and he isn’t clear either if something changed or not.

But I’m skeptical the plug-in is actually broken. I think there’s a high chance I’ve screwed up something on my end, and the plug-in works fine for most people. That’s why I posted here.

Anyway, I’m tossing in the towel on this one and giving up.

it’s pretty hard to mess up with checking a plugin whether it works or not… the code has changed this applies to all plugins it makes no sense to ask the developer just to look at the code

I took a more detailed look at your error report and i can say that, without a doubt, the problem is being caused by the lack of the id field within a schematic symbol definition. This is an undocumented change that happened between V6 and V7 (I guess). It has nothing to do with your run-time environment or any actions on your part.

I will try to get this fixed within the next several days.

5 Likes

The best reference for file version changes is this header file: eeschema/sch_file_versions.h · 7.0 · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

1 Like

That seems like a very sensible decision, if I understand the description. ID being kind of like a hash that’s only important inside the program and unimportant to everyone else, and doesn’t need to be persistent.

If I take a step back, maybe I couldn’t see the forest for the trees. Maybe there’s a more native way to bulk upload field values into KiCad schematics and symbol libraries, and there isn’t a real need for plugins like KiField anymore?

OK. I’ll hold off on doing a fix until you figure that out.

1 Like

for schematics there was a bulk edit function added for v7 (probably the cause why not more people asked for a fix of KiField). you can find it under Tools --> Edit Symbol Fields and there is also a button in the top menu bar for it.

For libraries is no native way to update fields in a bulk as far as I know.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a nice feature, but looks like, besides not doing libraries, it doesn’t allow for bulk uploading of field values to a schematic. It only seems to support bulk exporting and of course manual editing of fields from within the schematic – that is a cool feature I didn’t know about.

So I’m going to need either a tool like KiField or just do it manually in a text editor.

-Chris

@devbisme Any chance you’ll have a chance to look at this in the next month or so?
-Chris

I’ll take a look. If it’s easy to fix, I will do it in the next few days. If not, I won’t do it at all.

Going forward, you should know that the file formats will keep changing (probably for years to come according to this thread). So kifield may stop working again for KiCad 8, 9, … Maybe someone will fix it then, but probably not me.

Well, I pushed a fix for this 5 days ago …

2 Likes

Thanks! My forum notice went to spam for some reason. I’ll test it tonight (on a bus now).

Works great on my schematic. Thanks!
-Chris

1 Like

Thanks for verifying the fix. I finally got it uploaded to PyPi.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.