Kicad5 using old footprints?

Upgraded to kicad5 and I’m working with a design created in kicad4. MacOSX here. I noticed this issue when trying to figure out why all of the 3D models were missing.

During the initial upgrade I let kicad replace the footprints or other files with the defaults, as was suggested, but after a bit of debugging it looks like kicad is using the old GitHub libraries:

What is the correct fix for this? I have the new parts locally along with the 3D files. Should I be manually adjusting these paths to point at the local libraries? Should I adjust KIGITHUB to point at the new repository, https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-footprints?

Click the link (title) or the arrow at the top right corner to read the full thing.

1 Like

You know I had seen this post you made a month or so ago when looking at upgrading from kicad4 to kicad5 but thought it didn’t apply as I wasn’t going to run them in parallel and I figured the kicad5 installer would have taken care of this.

Thank you for responding, let me try option 1 and see how it goes.

@Rene_Poschl btw, where did all of the GitHub files end up? Do those files have to be removed as well?

The github plugin only stored stuff in some temporary location (probably directly in ram) That is why it was such a bad idea to use it. (Everytime you restart kicad it needed to download the libs again. At least the ones you need in that session.)

Went with option 2 I think, delete the file and let it regenerate. I’ve been adding my libraries to project specific libraries, not touching the default libraries so that went smooth. Had to re-associate all of the footprints but that went quick. Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.