KiCad Winbuilder

Have you logged it to the Winbuilder team that your A-V is reporting a trojan so they can look into it? This could affect other users, or perhaps your A-V is giving a false-positive?

Looking at other posts, there doesn’t seem much clarity on when (or if!) an installation file will be released - latest was in 2013…

I have not done that but I will. Thanks for reminding me.

I downloaded and un-zipped it. Biddefender remove the code it thinks is a virus.
I did let the guy know, no response yet.
Where did you download the Kicad source from? Guess you can tell I am a bit new at this.

It just finished building. Ver BZR 5067 seems to work.

@James_Cullins just did the same with winbuilder-3.4 and can confirm that there were no build errors.

I have to ask a question though: Has anyone experienced the search in the “choose component” (Hotkey: A) dialog in EEschema to be extremely slow on Windows builds using winbuilder? It seems like it starts the search immediately when entering the first character and it freezes until it has listed all componens/libraries containing that character until I can enter another character. Then it goes through the whole procedure again with that substring etc.
I have to say that is the bug that is currently slowing down my work flow the most.

I am experiencing this error ever since I started building using winbuilder-3.3

I checked mine and it works well in getting parts after I clicked on the + by the lib name. Are your other programs working normal?

Mine just hung up, had to use Task Manager to kill it.
I did notice it slow with footprints but I think that is because it pulling from Gethub. Maybe if the were local it would work better.

I have removed Winbuilder. I have another computer and will try UBUNTU and KiCad.

I also faced similar issues with the recent winbuilder.
However, I found this website which offers automatic builds for both Linux and Windows

http://kicad.nosoftware.cz/

The only thing I still needed to do was set a simple .bat script to set the ENV variables for the library tables before running KiCad. (Similar the the RunKicad.bat of Winbuilder)

Thanks for the link, I’ll have a look

Downloaded installed and so far working well.

I built kicad correctly using Winbuilder a week ago in 3 hrs in a Win7 vm on an i7 t420 Win 10 thinkpad host.10. Winbuilder was great, and I hope the first update goes without a hitch when I try.

By the way… I copied the \bin directory from the vm to the host, and RunKCad, eeschema and pcbnew all seem to work correctly. Is that an ok way to install kicad on another machine? I need the same version of kicad on another laptop, it would be nice to just copy the directory again.

The way the trojan arrives ressemble the infection vector for crryptic malware. It is a deadly poison for computers. Behold! http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/ccc-file

1 Like