KiCAD uninstall previous version after installing V6.99 nightly

I have V5.1.8 installed and V6.99 nightly installed.

I do not use V5.1.8 and would like to uninstall it.

Can I just run the V5.1.8 uninstaller? I don’t want to mess up my V6.99 installation.

As a precaution, what directories should I save off - just in case?

Thanks!

What OS and how did you install each? I know there was some discussion awhile back on how to do a double installation but I didn’t follow it since I only do the latest release so I can refer to it to help answer questions.

Hello, please read this: Upgrade Kicad 6 Windows 10

(You will not alter v6.0 or v6.99 configs by running v5 uninstaller. Also, I am windows user, don’t know about linux)

About backups just in case:
If you are using only v6+ already and there is no preferences to be imported from v5 instalation, there is nothing to keep from %appdata%\kicad. User settings of v5 is saved in the root of that folder as a “flat hierarchy (a mess)”. v6+ has appropriatelly called subfolders (v6 or v6.99) there, so keep only theese subfolders.

Thank you.

I’m using Windows.

There seem to be settings/files in %appdata%\kicad, %appdata%\kicad\6.99, AppData\Local\kicad\6.99 and AppData\Local\kicad\6.99.

Any value in backing these up before doing the 5.1.8 uninstall? Much easier to have the files and not need them than the other way around.

1 Like

Just copy the complete folders somewhere else and in case of problems, just overwrite the existing ones.

2 Likes

KiCad 5.1 didn’t version the settings. All files which are directly under %appdata%/ belong to v5. At some point in the development process v5.99 started to version the settings, and each major version (5.99, 6.x, 7.x etc.) will have their own subfolder there and all their respective files are kept under those folders.

See also Where are the configuration files (settings, library tables)?.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.