KiCAD to dxf or dwg

I designed my board in KiCad and sent it off to OSHPark and my purple boards just arrived. I will donate when I start selling product hopefully before Christmas. Now, I need to make a fixture to support the board and mount it to other equipment. I need to get this board drawing to dxf format. I need to put it along with other components in my CAD package. How do I get it to dxf?

Click on “Plot” and change the format to DXF.

Thank you very much. I was looking in print instead of plot.

Is *.DXF one of the available “Plot” formats? I thought it was under “File” > “Export”. This may be a case where the Nightly and Release versions differ.

Regardless, the *.DXF files produced by KiCAD used to be rather low quality. (Perhaps this has changed in recent Nightly builds.) Forum member @maui has written a Python script that works much better. See the last half of my post at Exporting DXF files .

Dale

1 Like

Well, I have a very old nightly, and the conversion to DXF is done under plot. I don’t know why, but I went looking for it under “Export” also at first. Then, I remembered that is not where I thought it was the last time I went looking for it.

Having it under “Plot” is a little quirky.

1 Like

Yeah, in my mind program outputs intended for human consumption are produced by “Print” or “Plot” commands, while files intended for other programs or computers are created in “Export” routines. But that is a subtle distinction in English, and KiCAD is being created in a consortium of people with several non-English first-languages.

To be honest, I went by memory rather than actually looking. (My KiCAD work is on a different computer than the one I used to answer that post.) It’s possible that “Export” is how you produce *.DXF on some other CAD/CAE tool that I use. Or perhaps, as I suggested, there is a difference between Release and Nightly builds.

Have you created *.DXF files from KiCAD? When I first did that, about a year ago, I remember that the result was disappointing. That’s when I discovered the Python script that produced what I wanted, and I’ve used the script ever since.

Dale

I would suggest you have a look at kicad stepup.
That way you get the board as step (including the components on it) and can use that to design your housing.

1 Like

I can’t remember much of the export side, maybe the nightlies once had “Export DXF”, but if it had it would only have brought up the “Plot” dialog.

1 Like

You are correct - none of my KiCAD installations can create a *.DXF using “Export”. You must use “Plot” and select the file format. I must have been thinking of some other CAD/CAE tool.

Dale