KiCad testing and debugging in VMs

That’s very annoying indeed, I can’t open a file with file explorer / Open With… But we have to live with that or report it to MS. I have decided to open KiCad application first and use its Open Project etc. even though it feels stupid.

I think it would be possible to build KiCad with different executable names, but would it be worth it?

don’t think it would be worth the fallout when updating and what it would mean for end users. At this point I might as well clone the VM and never look back :slight_smile:

I’ve added a solution to this in the initial post - the trick is to register context menu entries for each of the file extensions, and a context menu item for each KiCad version installed. Works a treat under Win7 and Win10.

2 Likes

I think this is a good effort and personally am always happy when we can have more testing of KiCad.

From a developer’s point of view, I wanted to clarify a few things:

1. If someone files a bug that they reproduced on a VM or unsupported operating system, I will not personally rush to say “won’t fix”, I will generally try to reproduce it on my own system. It is only when we have trouble reproducing the bug on a system we currently support that we run into problems, and some bugs are reproducible anywhere you run KiCad.

2. Most of the bugs that are system-dependent or might be affected by running in a VM have to do with graphics and window management. So, when we see bugs in these areas, we are automatically a bit more suspicious if the bug is reported from a VM or unsupported OS. Historically these types of bugs have been some of the most time-consuming to fix, so that is why sometimes it seems like the developers are sensitive about not wanting to fix issues that happen on unsupported systems.

This doesn’t mean that testing on VMs is not useful! In fact it can be very useful and I do it myself sometimes. I just hope this gives some better perspective on why sometimes people on the bug tracker rush to warn people about the fact that the system they are testing on is unsupported.

4 Likes

most free software is easier to use/build/debug in a unix envrionment. I think kicad should drop windows entirely

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.