Kicad Schematic Notes

Hi, I want to add a simple table to the schematic notes.
Unfortunately, because the text editor is not a WYSIWYG, it is almost impossible to format something. Is this a bug with the nightly version I am running or is it something inherent to KiCAD? If it is the latter, any tips on how to improve this? (such as a plugin that already exists)

Another example:

The main problem that you’re encountering is that the font isn’t monospaced. There’s no easy way for you to improve that. There is some discussion about that here: KiCad Schematics Font is a Deal-Breaker => Feature Sponsorship?

The second thing is that you chose right justified text so everything looks super weird. Orientation is the opposite of justification in this context (left/right, up/down is another thing). You seem to be using an older version from before the wording in this menu was improved. Consider updating.

The final suggestion from me is to use separate pieces of text for the table contents and draw the borders with graphic lines.

1 Like

Thank you @radix , changing the orientation from ‘Left’ to ‘Right’ worked for my intended purposes.

I thought I was using one of the more recent builds, but the nightly builds have the latest version at the bottom and not at the top, so I have mistakenly installed an older version.

1 Like

Sometimes it also helps a bit to use a separate text field for each column.

[Edit, clarification]
I only use a single text field for each column, not for each “cell”, and each text field has multiple lines, one line for each row of the table.
This minimizes the amount of “ascii art” as there is no “painting” with tab characters or spaces. It works reasonably well for rows, because each line of text has the same height.
The individual columns of text are easy to move around a bit with the mouse.

Use tabs to (mostly) align your text into colums. This only really works with Orientation Right (or, in recently nightlies “Align Left”)

3 Likes

I generally use graphic lines to make the separation lines of tables and then one text field per cell. Much more flexible than using basically ASCI art to do it. It is also much easier to adapt if for example you need to change the width of a column because you now have an entry that needs more space.

(I assume this is similar to what @paulvdh meant)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.