Kicad remains running after closing all windows

I know this isn’t exactly a support forum but I thought I’d start here and see if anyone else notices the same thing.

I’m using Kicad on Ubuntu Linux. Every time I close the program it stays running in the background. When I open it again it complains about the program running and asks if I want to open a second version. When I look at my running processes it is running. I’m currently running 5.1.3 but this also happened on 5.1.2. I can’t speak for earlier versions as I didn’t use them long enough to remember.

Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.3-ffb9f22~84~ubuntu18.10.1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.61.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.32.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.18.0-21-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
    Boost: 1.67.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.61.0
    Compiler: GCC 8.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

Could you explain more carefully, because now I have an impression that you open a second process and see it running. Did you actually exit KiCad and then looked at your processes, without trying to open it again?

Some pcbnew plugins can cause this.
Try killing kicad process, launching just kicad and closing it. Does the process exit properly?
Then try the same but open pcbnew as well.

If it’s caused by plugins try disabling them one by one to determine which one.

Does it occasionally for me too. A simple ‘killall kicad’ will do for now.

Open Kicad, do work. Close all windows. Open again later (without rebooting) it complains I say no and run ps aux | grep kicad on my terminal and there is my last Kicad process.

I’ll try what qu1ck mentions and see if its a plugin.

Disabled all plugins. Still happens. It is associated with PCBnew. If I run PCBnew standalone it seems to close without sticking but it is core dumping. Maybe this is causing the parent process to think a window is still hanging out there that it needs to track.

I’ll look through open issues and submit the bug if there isn’t already an open one.

Run pcbnew standalone under gdb and do a backtrace on crash. Submit that trace with the bugreport, it will help devs a lot.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.