KiCad: PCB update and routing problem

After update from schematic, I see footprints and the lines between the pads but there are no tracks or vias. DRC reports no connection between components. What must I do to get a simple 2-layer PCB that a fab will accept.

You must add those manually. Kicad does not autoroute. The lines are guides to let you know which pads to route between. Have you watched any of the online tutorials?

I am using the hammond1539 template which is a blank pcb. I added a resistor, an LED, and a connector. DRC reports no connection so I tried adding vias to the footprint centers. When that produced more errors, I did route a single track which makes each guide bold red. Nothing I try passes DRC.

An incomplete circuit will not pass the DRC. Maybe a screenshot will give us some idea?

1 Like

Make sure you are routing the traces on the desired layer by switching to that layer. If surface mount part then front copper. If through hole part either front or back copper. You usually don’t need vias for a beginner project.

When you have successfully routed one trace that rats nest line will disappear and the unconnected count will go down.

Thanks retiredfeline, I am starting to understand but some research might be needed.

I did a few 2-sided PCBs with Eagle some years ago when software did the routing and layer switching. I did not realize now that PCB update is very complicated for software.

There is a basic guide for using Kicad here.
It is well worth the read to familiarise yourself with the programme.

I don’t know Eagle. May be it still has autorouter and may be it will be easiest for you to use it again. Our employee used autorouter once and got PCB 100% routed so being happy with it he ordered PCB. And that PCB (after assembling) simply didn’t worked. The reason - one digital data track was about 1cm length and a track with clock to that data was going around the whole PCB - about 25cm length. It was our first and last experience with autorouter.

At 2 layer PCBs I avoid layer switching like fire as solid GND (taking up the entire bootom layer) is what in my opinion I must have to limit EMC emissions and sensitivity.
See here how it looks like:

Depends what you understand under update. KiCad updates PCB to all changes made in schematic by deleting all footprints that were deleted from schematic and adding those that were added there to let you work with the correct set of footprints and their connections.
Route yourself one complicated PCB and then imagine what rules and actions (defined precisely and not said roughly) should software take to route any PCB. Then you hopefully will realize how autorouting is complicated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.