KiCad pcb to altium designer

Hey everyone. I have to convert my KiCad project to Altium designer .pcbdoc file. because most of the manufacturers in my country just accepts this format. I tried Altium designer’s import wizard to import kicad files but it didn’t work because i have some self designed libraries(footprint and designs) in my kicad project. so i am trying reverse engineering. i exported drill and gerber files from kicad pcb file which worked perfectly. then i create a CAM file inside Altium designer and imported those files. but i need a netlist file. Altium CAM needs ipc-d-365 netlist file with .ipc format but kicad pcb do not create such a file. it can export ipc-d-365 file but its format is .d365 and even with changing the format manually Altium do not accept it and says it is not a CAM file.

what should i do?

You are paying for support from Altium to solve this.
KiCad developers generally don’t have Altium licences.

3 Likes

Actually i am using a cracked version of it ://
I am a big fan of free software dude

It’s so strange that they only accept Altium Desiner’s file. Gerber and NCDrill is a general format and all manufacturers can accept them, so maybe you need to have a double confirm why they can’t accept Gerber and NCDrill directly.

4 Likes

1update the importer of kicad to altium to the latest version 2 import to kicad from pcb your libraries… 3 when importing to altium specify the folder with the library of kicad from the project

1 Like

You try in the opposite direction from altium to kicad) he writes that there are no such layers and comes up with his own))) then manual pain begins))) here’s free software for you)))

1 Like

No need to import gerber in altium need to generate your own after importing the project

1 Like

I am pretty sure they also accept Gerber files. I don’t know a single manufacturer that doesn’t accept Gerber.

Normally, you don’t send the actual PCB files (like .kicad_pcb or PcbDoc) but you create Gerber and drill files from the layout software, like from KiCad, zip them and send them to the manufacturer. To create the Gerber, open the PCB in KiCad and go to File → Fabrication Outputs → Gerbers (.gbr)…
You find a non-offical documentation here: How to generate Gerber and Drill files in KiCad 6 - JLCPCB: Help & Support

3 Likes

Use original version or trial version of Altium. Even if you are a big fan of free software…

1 Like

Yeah it’s right, but again it is country and political problems, i am living in Iran and with many sanctions here, i can’t transfer money out of the country easily.

I talked with about 5 or 6 manufacturers and they told me that they work only with .pcb_doc format!

It’s also strange for me

That’s sad. Maybe they are all using the same cracked CAM software that only handles .pcb_doc.

1 Like

Thank you. I will check it out.

I found an option, export netlist. It works fine but there is still a problem with ground plane. My ground plane disappears with CAM file conversion to pcb

1 Like

Yes. Exactly:)
Some of them pay for a license, but most of them just crack it which causes many problems

Gerber fails tied to the board… You’re trying to tie kickad gerberas to the altium that’s not entirely true… Import the file board into the altium and then in the altium itself you will already generate new gerbers

1 Like

Hi, maybe you can try JLCPCB, which is a chinese local PCB manufacturer, and now China is friendly to Iran I think.

PCB Prototype & PCB Fabrication Manufacturer - JLCPCB

And you can also try JLCEDA/EasyEDA, which can import KiCAD project and also can export to Altium Designer format file.

1 Like

Thank you so much
I will try that

If China is an option, there are many PCB manufacturers you can choose. Just make sure you don’t use Gerber 4.6 Precision since many of them, at least in my experience, have cracked CAM software that doesn’t work with 4.6 Precision and use 4.5 instead.

See Strange circles in the gerber

1 Like

Thank you all. EasyEDA helped me with the conversion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.