KiCad native export vs KicadStepUp board import - step color missing

I can’t be 100% sure, but I once had problems with the colors of models generated not only by kicad … This import setting from this forum helped solve the problem in version 20.2

Jules
I want to upset you a little A few years ago, starting from size 0603, manufacturers were allowed not to put a numerical code on resistors … Visually, it’s just a black rectangle … In ordinary life, 99 percent of 3D models are already freely available and, according to my personal experience, direct your efforts to convert libraries between different cads than to draw 700 resistors IMHO

I want to upset you a little

How kind of you :wink:

A few years ago, starting from size 0603, manufacturers were allowed not to put a numerical code on resistors … Visually, it’s just a black rectangle …

I’m sure you don’t mean ‘allowed’ in the strictest sense of the word, or in a ‘compliant to international standards’ kind of sense. Just like virtually no IC package strictly adheres to JEDEC or whatever committe’s standards. Just like Texas Instruments doesn’t care that what they call SOIC, other companies call SO or SOP (or the other way around :thinking: - there is some kind of major discrepancy here between TI and other manufacturers).

Either way, between the reels I have and the manufacturer datasheet stating which sizes have which markings, that’s what I’ve followed.

In ordinary life, 99 percent of 3D models are already freely available and, according to my personal experience, direct your efforts to convert libraries between different cads than to draw 700 resistors IMHO

I kindly disagree with your first statement, or at the very least, I have different standards and very much enjoy doing the modeling myself. I haven’t checked out KiCad’s supplied models in a long time, so I don’t know the current state. Take the height difference of SMD ceramic caps of a single size but varying capacitance for example. I’m pretty sure KiCad’s libs just have a single footprint and a single model of a specific (arbitrary?) height. For my miniaturization efforts, I’d like to have the height for different capacitances accurately represented, as there’s a big difference between a 1206 cap with a height of 0.85 ± 0.1 mm vs 1.6 ± 0.3 mm.

I fail to see why different CAD programs need to be involved. I’ll return the favour and upset you a little by continuing to direct my efforts so they satisfy my needs :wink:

1 Like

I think this is a very good point especially when one is trying to fit boards into very tight spaces :slight_smile:

@Jules , I’m impressed by your FreeCAD skill so, I offer this…

First:
My Colorizer App was initially designed to color Resistors, that grew to Jumper-Wires and User’s STEP file.

I set the App for coloring with Colors shown in App (and, when doing a Jumper-Wire, only One Band color is presented).

As seen in the App’s demo video, I show how to set RGB for User’s STEP, by setting RGB values to ‘1’.

Second:
That said and, considering the Description of your Goal (re: family of STEP’s), I see you set Substrate and Markings to 245,245,245.

What I did as a ‘Teaser’ and, if interested, we can work together to make you an App for Bulk Coloring your STEP’s. No need for Face Coloring.

Tweaking my App as a Demo: I did Not bother with doing anything beyond settings to Change RGB values of 245. To avoid changing the Substrate color by using this Demo-App, I RESET the Substrate RGB to 250,250,250.

I did that for All STEP’s in the Royal family.

Video below shows Using my tweaked-Demo App to change the Colors of one of the STEP’s and follows-up with Usage video (I did Not bother to include the Orange STEP change on PCB shown when using StepUp…

Summary:
If the above gives you Idea’s, well, I’m open to creating an App to go along with your STEP’s and/or as a Tool for you to use… Your ideas are welcome… Also, quite apart from my App, you can use FreeCAD’s Python Console to Bulk-Change…etc (if you know enough Python and FreeCAD).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.