Kicad libraries are not working

I am on nightly builds. After not working on my project for a month, I find that now the libraries do not have any symbols and I am met by question marks in the schematics. Opening the library editor seems to indicate libraries are either not found or empty. What do I do?

The library table stuff has been merged recently.
Please read everything related to that. (You will need to setup the lib table, and you will need to remap your schematics.)

2 Likes

Copying the sym-lib-table helped.

My own library does not seem to be loadable. What do I do to that?

Did you try to add it using the library manager in eeschema? (found under tools)

If so, do you get an error message?

The error occurs when I try to correct the symbol, using the Change button under symbol properties, when the Choose symbol dialog opens I get:

Error occurred loading symbol library Foo.

file is not a valid component or symbol library file in input/source
“/home/janla64/Skrivbord/Foo.lib”
line 1, offset 0

Well what is in line 1 of Foo.lib? (not sure if they start to count with 0 or 1. So the first two lines might be the problem.)

it should be:

EESchema-DOCLIB Version 2.3
#

I think you mixed lib/dcm files there. That header is for .dcm files, and if incorrect would generate a different error : invalid document library file version formatting in header. Also the correct id is "EESchema-DOCLIB Version 2.0"

The code for reading .lib files looks for two possible headers before generating the error message:

if( !strCompare( "EESchema-LIBRARY Version", line, &line ) )
    {
        // Old .sym files (which are libraries with only one symbol, used to store and reuse shapes)
        // EESchema-LIB Version x.x SYMBOL. They are valid files.
        if( !strCompare( "EESchema-LIB Version", line, &line ) )
            SCH_PARSE_ERROR( "file is not a valid component or symbol library file", reader, line );
    }

[github link] (https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/blob/master/eeschema/sch_legacy_plugin.cpp#L2283#L2289)

But the question remains, what is in the first line of the file?

1 Like

yup you are right. Seems i miss clicked when i tried to open one of the official libs and instead opened a dcm file.

Typo in the path. Naturally, I shortened the path for the message here.

Problem solved for now, thanks.