KiCad / Dropbox Tutorial

New to KiCad and still learning where it keeps all of its files.

I’d like to move easily between my laptop and desktop, using Dropbox like I do with most of my other tools. I don’t want to install stuff twice. Who does, right?

Is there a good resource that explains where KiCad throws all of its various files? Ideally on each operating system. But I’d take anything that could explain where everything is at and what configuration files need to be updated.

Don’t think so…

Look and feel is being determined in C:\Users???\AppData\Roaming\kicad under Windows.
Each module has got it’s setting file in there.
Dunno where that is in the 'nix world…

The there are project level settings which are stored in the .pro file that resides in the folder where your project is in. Don’t mix projects, make a folder per project.

If you use local/custom repos for symbols/footprints/shapes you have to tell KiCAD where to find them.
Footprint and shape folders are being set in the project module>preferences.
Symbol folder is being set in the symbol editor module directly for the time being.

There was a bloke on here who posted some file locations for all OS’es and that they should be similar… couple of weeks back… ah here we go, 5th search phrase was a success:

Me neither… I think the search term I used wasn’t the one that caused the thread to show up in the end, but something else… :grinning: