KiCad Donation Campaign 100%+ Funded!

The web page has been updated:

-.-.-.-.- DISCLAIMER -.-.-.-.-
The campaign will stay active for the established 2-month period,

This makes more sense. There will be at least 600 hours of development, and this should significantly shorten the time to release V6; not promising that it will actually be completed by then.

Yet, I do remain curious what Cern will decide to publish once the counter on the web page does hit the magic 600 number.

The more money the better, there are plenty of boring but useful things needed like software testing.

2 Likes

I would like to see a more open strategy plan for the marketing of KiCad. This isn’t marketing in terms of selling the product for money, but for focussing on delivering value to its users and marketshare for a very specific toolset.

It appears to be a difficult process for open source projects where the direction of the project is driven by scratching itches of developers rather than users. Though this is generally solved by the developers having similar itches as users, it isn’t always the case as need/desire does not necessarily align with ability.

KiCad seems like it’s just on the cusp of becoming a bigger project. Wayne and the development team/volunteers and the library team have done a fantastic job of really pulling things together. This is both in terms of the software delivered, but also the progress made in communication with the community. Though I would personally like to see a more unified foundation type setup, along with some centralization of resources and organisation (rather than the current multiple random servers for images and builds, main user group discussion and dev group discussion existing in different forums/formats, etc). Hopefully there can be a more structured attempt for funding or donated resources from individual and corporate sponsors for overhead in addition to development time.
I’m not sure where the correct channels are to offer those services besides contacting the developers directly vs an actual leadership team. I’m happy to volunteer my services to help.

1 Like

This topic was closed and pruned, due to disputes about the integrity of CERN and personal attacks.

1 Like